LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyota Land Cruiser is still extremely capable, essentially equal to the LR4.

$70k for a new one is a lot but it brings more value to the long term owner by not needing a warranty, running low octane fuel, and having much higher resale value.

So true, I bought a new 2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams that I needed to sell to buy a new home and I sold it for $2000 less than I paid after one year and 9,000 miles. Today, if I assume it would have about 65,000 miles, it shows it is worth virtually same amount I sold it for 4 years ago! Crazy!

Here is an article suggesting that L462 production is on schedule, but slated for June 2017 at Solihull. Seems the UK is not going to be getting the updated Land Crusier either....

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in the Middle East, I am surrounded by Land Cruisers. Every local owns one. Capable, yes, but far overpriced for what you get. Plus the interior is poor (Toyota after all) and not well designed like the 3rd row LR3/4. Again, it wouldn't be an issue if it didn't cost so much money. LC is simply not worth anywhere near it's current price, which is now actually $80k MSRP base price before options!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an article suggesting that L462 production is on schedule, but slated for June 2017 at Solihull. Seems the UK is not going to be getting the updated Land Crusier either....

Thanks for that. That suggests a Discovery 5 may happen as a MY2018, which would give us an extra model year of the LR4 compared to the widely accepted forecast. Considering the lack of spy shots of Discovery test mules anywhere on the web, that may make sense, if they were planning a launch in a year or less by now we should be seeing something out there other than a concept car. They can take an extra year of engineering, if they promise not to screw up the secret sauce that made the LR3/4 the vehicle it is.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thoughts Umberto. There has been absolutely zero spy shots for a vehicle that is supposed to launch within the next year. MY2018 makes far more sense.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So true, I bought a new 2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams that I needed to sell to buy a new home and I sold it for $2000 less than I paid after one year and 9,000 miles. Today, if I assume it would have about 65,000 miles, it shows it is worth virtually same amount I sold it for 4 years ago! Crazy!

Good article, thanks for posting. Agree, we will see it as a 2018MY launch, previewed late next year with early-mid 17 production.

I do not have high hopes, holding out for a good refresh of the Defender, but not really a replacement. I wonder what we will do once the LR4 runs its course, honestly kind of sad it is coming to an end.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LC is simply not worth anywhere near it's current price, which is now actually $80k MSRP base price before options!

I listed what it actually commonly sells for here in the US, not the sticker/msrp.

Considering this $ fact, it becomes an interesting comparison to an almost loaded 2016 LR4 which does not promise the same common discounting.

Last time I checked, my "build" for an lr4 would be $70-$72k without any DVD "entertainment" option. The Cruiser has all options as standard, and some that are not even available on LR4. Cost wise, the Cruiser is actually the better "value" no matter how you want to look at it.

By your own logic above, then the LR4 is even less "worth" it's current price.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. That suggests a Discovery 5 may happen as a MY2018, which would give us an extra model year of the LR4 compared to the widely accepted forecast.

That leaves time to get a petition going for NAS 2017 LR4 TDV6...!!!

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. That suggests a Discovery 5 may happen as a MY2018, which would give us an extra model year of the LR4 compared to the widely accepted forecast. Considering the lack of spy shots of Discovery test mules anywhere on the web, that may make sense, if they were planning a launch in a year or less by now we should be seeing something out there other than a concept car. They can take an extra year of engineering, if they promise not to screw up the secret sauce that made the LR3/4 the vehicle it is.
Yep, makes sense.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thoughts Umberto. There has been absolutely zero spy shots for a vehicle that is supposed to launch within the next year. MY2018 makes far more sense.

Hopefully they are using this extra time to not make it look like a Ford Explorer....and taking into account all the other negative feedback from the proto version.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they are using this extra time to not make it look like a Ford Explorer....and taking into account all the other negative feedback from the proto version.

Hi there! I am not sure how accurate this is, but a GM friend of mine at a dealership was just in the UK at a meeting with Jaguar/Land Rover and was able to see the final form of the "LR5", which will be called just a "Discovery". He said it looks just like the Discovery vision concept that Land Rover showed before the Discovery Sport was released. It's pretty big, but has that same design and look. Some of the people at the meeting were pretty disappointed, even though he said it was very nicely built and appointed.

Oh well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72