LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zdi-063.jpg

02-2016-range-rover-sport-hse-td6-qs-2.jpg

I think had they kept the more vertical tailgate (and kept it a split one) there would be less complaints from the tried and true on the changes in the design. Based on many comments here, its not so much the softening of the edges but rather the sloping roof line and cut back tail is where it lost it.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the frame/chassis different than the LR3/LR4?

There was a comment a page back saying the LR4 is one of the last of a particular style, which had me wondering.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a short article with Gerry McGovern that briefly discusses the decison for the overall design and the tailgate changes.

http://cardesignnews.com/articles/first-sight/2016/10/land-rover-discovery-2017
Thanks. This is the first discussion and I think clear picture of the tailgate solution...
p1090475.jpg

If that is the tailgate compromnise, I'm impressed. It's much better than it could have been. I was expecting some tiny stupid 8" seat like the X5 has. This looks like a load bearing bench that is at the same level as the rest of the load space. Is that what we're looking at?

I'm confused on where this is stored. Does it just fold up or tuck under something? Also curious if deployment of this is hindered when you have the bed fully packed with gear.

I know no one on this forum has seen it in person, but we can speculate and perhaps you came across another picture/video that shows it in better detail. This picture is pretty good, though!

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inner tailgate folds up vertically, and does so automatically when the main tailgate is closed. It does not fold flat inward, unfortunately. One practical aspect of this is it acts as a barrier that prevents items from slipping out when the trunk is opened, which has been an issue with single tailgate SUVs like the RRS.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The powered inner tailgate is rated for 300kg or 661.38lbs when lowered, so it should be heavy duty. Here are some photos from the Discovery video they put out.

Discovery Inner Tailgate 00.jpg Discovery Inner Tailgate 0.jpg Discovery Inner Tailgate 1.jpg Discovery Inner Tailgate 2.jpg Discovery Inner Tailgate 3.jpg

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those pics, catman. Hadn't seen those in the video. Looks a little more like a kludge solution seen close up. I wouldn't be surprised if they do away with it or make it an option in future years. This is just to appease "team split tailgate" in the first release.

From reading the article it makes it seem like it was hard to design in a one piece lift gate vs. the split. I've heard from some that those hydraulic struts are heavy and expensive to replace when they go...and they do go. Sometimes punching through the frame mounts on the are mounted to on the body. We're not just picking those up for $20 on amazon when they go! :s:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it there is no way to simply open the upper window? Aside from using the lower half of the tailgate on the LR4 as a work space, to help load items or, to sit on or to stand on when accessing my roof rack, I also often accessed items from the cargo area buy merely opening the top half. Whether it was grocery bags or hiking gear, camera gear, outdoor clothing, whatever, I would load our most commonly accessed items, sometimes in storage bins next to the tailgate so we could access them merely by raising the upper half. I don't think that is an option on the new Discovery. I know some SUVs with a single tailgate allow the rear window to be opened for this type of access. But I don't see it here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72