Lug nut Mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong thread?

What does wrong thread mean - that the M14 x 1.5 was was wrong or the M12 x 1.5?

If the M14 that you received appears wrong, I would say you were shipped something other than M14 x 1.5.

Before I did anything, on Monday morning, I would be heading off to an industrial bolt shop that has a metric thread gauge and hopefully M12 and M14 cap screws.

Also bring in one of the Land Rover lug nuts and see what their gauge shows on both and then what size of cap screw threads into each of the lug nuts.

Since there is nothing in it for the bolt shop, be certain to appear suitably puzzled and in desperate need of their guidance - maybe Monday afternoon would be a better time to appear.

Delray

Reaction score
No, I posted in the wrong forum thread when I was posting wheel pictures! Did not think of the double-meaning in context of lug 'thread' but kind of funny :biggrin:

BTW, the shorter nuts worked fine, but ended up getting another set locally (Big O Tires) because I stupidly left the key socket on one of the nuts as I went to test drive for rubbing with just one of the wheels on. Had to hammer a 12 pt onto the Gorilla nuts to remove the 5 that were installed. I am too impatient to wait for a replacement key from Gorilla (could take up to 3 weeks) so I just got a set from local tire shop.

All's well that ends well I guess. Thanks for your help!

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: Has anyone used the stock Land Rover supplied jack and lug nut wrench? I had to change a tire last Wednesday and the metal of the lug nut wrench handle failed, bent, and broke - right where the swivel pin goes through. I've never had this happen but in looking at the design and "sturdiness" of the lug nut wrench I'm not surprised. Has anyone had this problem?
I'll probably just go out and buy another, stronger, lug nut socket wrench and carry a piece of pipe for leverage if I need it. Just seems that this is a design failing by Land Rover to provide something that would work for a Honda Civic but not for an off road vehicle like a LR3. And I was on regular local roads, not even off road somewhere....

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People have tried.

Question: Has anyone used the stock Land Rover supplied jack and lug nut wrench?
I would say that everyone who has tried now carries a 22mm 6 point socket and 36" or longer breaker bar.

They also carry a collection of jacks. I have a 2 tonne and 6 tonne bottle jack as well as a small trolley. Others have those exhaust bags the lift one side of the vehicle right off the ground - that is probably the best way for any off pavement lifting.

The real problem is the high degree of articulation due to the air suspension. You just cannot get the rubber to lift off the surface jacking on the frame, hence one jack under the frame to carry the weight and a second under an A arm to lift the wheel.

I hear in the UK, to change a tyre, they remove the body first; then the stock jack tends to work OK but the lug wrench is still a problem.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that everyone who has tried now carries a 22mm 6 point socket and 36" or longer breaker bar.

They also carry a collection of jacks. I have a 2 tonne and 6 tonne bottle jack as well as a small trolley. Others have those exhaust bags the lift one side of the vehicle right off the ground - that is probably the best way for any off pavement lifting.

Also High lift can be used on after market bumpers or side slider rails. You could even use the high lift with wheel hook, stick in the rim, lift, place blocking under the suspension arm/axle, lower, change wheel, reverse steps.

About the 22mm.... yes that is the SPEC however I have not found a tire shop that cannot screw up and use a slightly larger socket, which deforms the stainless cap, which makes it nearly impossible to ever get a 22mm on again, or off if you can hammer it on.

So, carry both 22mm AND 23mm or 7/8" (7/8"=22.225)

What's with this "Gorilla" website? Are these good lugs? I'm getting wheels black powder coated and black lugs nuts would be sweet!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gorilla lugs are forged and do not have the caps. While this material is more prone to corrosion over time than the stainless steel cap, it will not deform and cause trouble fitting the 22mm socket. I plan to apply some kind of wheel wax and some kind of corrosion inhibitor to the lugs. Maybe I'll just Waxoil the whole wheel after it's mounted ;)

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a damn good plan to me!

I've replaced around 10 lugs since I took ownership a year and a half ago. This full set is like paying for the other 10 that will eventually need to be replaced.

A little corrosion over time wont **** function like the swollen caps do and like your plan... take some preventative measures!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know how they look. Will have mine in few days.

Oh, I used "make and offer" put in lower amounts of $100 and $112 which were declined instantly but $115 bought me the $122 25 nut package. about 6.5% off. I'd try $90-$95 on the 20 nut kit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo