Mis-matched Spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was running Zeons, but only off-road with minimal pavement driving. I intend to do the same with the MT/Rs. I may drive them to/from the trailhead but that's all the pavement use they will see. I want them to last a really long time....

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The primary concern with mismatched wheels is the rolling diameter. You can calculate using tools, such as this one: http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html

275/65R18 measures 32.075 diameter, 100.766 circumference
255/55R19 measures 30.043 diameter, 94.383 circumference

That is a significant difference.

Trying to find reliable techical documentation on this from DOT or NHTSA, but still checking. Here is some online advice: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_can_...ferent_size_tire_on_a_all_wheel_drive_vehicle

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan I would agree with your conclusion, I've simply never tried it.

Long term I certainly do need a legit spare, but in the event that I really needed to I think I could crawl home with a mis-match. I will also be sure to carry an air compressor and patch kit. I doubt I could really trash the sidewalls of these Goodyears with their latest 'n greatest technology and the 3-ply construction...so we're dealing with a low-probability event.

You don't need to blow a sidewall. You could easily shear off a valve stem, or unseat your tire bead with those interesting rims of yours (that do not have the same bead design as the OEM wheels. One low pressure run in the sand, when you crank your front wheels and hello flat tire!

I suggest some reading time: http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tirerepair.html

This is a very good tire repair kit, and includes spare valve stems and so forth in addition the typical plugs, reamers, plungers, etc...

The SafteySeal kit is very good also, and is recommended by Bill Burke who says that their plugs melt and set faster to the tire than the plugs in the other well regarded kit, from ARB.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of spares.

nwoods, you have the grapplers i believe i've noticed. any chance you know if they fit the spare tire location or are they too large?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan can correct me if I am wrong. I beleve the 285 fits but you have to partially deflate it to get it to fit.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't put my full size spare under the truck, so I can't give you first hand report. My thinking is that when off roading, that is a bad spot for a spare tire! On road, I have AAA and/or Land Rover Assistance to save the day if necessary. I do care the space saver spare under the truck, more as a rubber shield from the rocks :)

I know that the 285/65/18 fits if you let a lot of the air out, then hoist it up, and then you can reinflate it and still get it out later (I did this on Umberto's RRS and it worked).

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i figured that was the case. thanks for confirming.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm

If you like your sidesteps, you will love the High Country Sliders. I took my sidesteps off a while back, and then this summer put on the High Country Sliders, and very glad I did. I missed my sidesteps when they were off. Now I have the convenience of the sidestep, but with the strength of a slider.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jimbiram,

There are two reasons I keep the sidesteps:

1. I like the look of them.
2. I paid too much money for them to toss them.

A corollary: there would be no real aftermarket value for mine because the driver's side step has been damaged offroad. Damn tree stump!

The only reason those things are still attached to my vehicle is because I've spent a little money to reinforce them. ...they basically have their own skid plates. If I eventually rip them off my vehicle inadvertently, it will give me a reason to get the sliders.

That's sort of where I'm at with everything now. I won't get an ARB bumper unless I bash the stock one. I won't get sliders unless I shred my sidesteps. I won't get the Mantec or Rasta front skid plate unless I lose the plastic stock one again.

I'm cool with my rig right now and am done spending $ on it for a while....with the exception of the ugly NASCAR rims! I still hate those but am not really that motivated to upgrade until I find a smokin' deal on 18" LR wheels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635