Mis-matched Spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now am the proud owner of a set of 32" MT/Rs.

I have yet to find another 18" rim to mount a spare on. Has anyone been in a situation where they got a flat and had to use a mis-matched tire? What if I go out wheelin before I get the spare I need and I have to throw on one 255/55R19 with my three 275/65R18 other tires?

Will Traction Control go nuts on me?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will drive in circles...

Actually, on dirt you will be okay to get to the trail head, but you are not supposed to go very far (or very fast) on the street. Works the diffs something mighty.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are in my garage right now...I will have to snap some pics and attach 'em. Possibly tomorrow if that suffices. Otherwise I will have to wait until next month to get pictures of them on the ride. ...didn't have a camera with me this afternoon.

Nathan, have you experienced this or is it just your (rational) conclusion?

By the way...Access Height with the 275/65R18 tires is pretty much a no-go. Normal height is okay with some minimal rubbing particularly in reverse. Off-road height is fine. It's a tight squeeze though!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic

...Here are two pics that I grabbed from my phone. The LR3 is in Off-Road height. There wasn't much of an area to test them out at Discount Tire so I just drove around and climbed things.

The second shot is more up-close so you guys can see the tread pattern. I can't wait to try these babies out!

....and DON'T make fun of my rims! They were $70 a piece! ...some day I will either powder-coat them or sell them off in favor of some 18" LR OE wheels; whenever I find them for less than $100 per.

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, have you experienced this or is it just your (rational) conclusion?

Its a guess, based on sort an intuitive understanding of how diff's work, and limited phyical, tangible knowledge of them, as explained to me by a few people who do NOT make a living as mechanics. Also, I think I read in the manual somewhere :)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan I would agree with your conclusion, I've simply never tried it.

Long term I certainly do need a legit spare, but in the event that I really needed to I think I could crawl home with a mis-match. I will also be sure to carry an air compressor and patch kit. I doubt I could really trash the sidewalls of these Goodyears with their latest 'n greatest technology and the 3-ply construction...so we're dealing with a low-probability event.

phurley

Reaction score
I would test it briefly around the neighborhood before relying on it. At the least, I think you'll probably want to turn off DSC...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good suggestion. I will have to do that sometime in the next 5 weeks; before the next outing.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currious to know how well you think the MTR's do on the road? looking forward to your review on wet, dry, and icy/snow conditions. You were running Zeon's before right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9