Most fun I've had driving int he snow in a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I meant the Duratracs. You mentioned running them year round and that they were great in the snow... and then said you were buying some different winter tires so I was curious why you weren't running the Duratracs for the winter. Yeah I have some Conti's now that I need to replace asap. I am up in the air between sticking with my OEM 20s or getting some 18' Compos. Wondering if the 18"s will be a less squirrelly ride than the 20s. Bouncing all over the place.

Oh sorry for the confusion. The Duratracs are the tires I run year around on my Jeep Wrangler.

For my 2015 LR4 I'm waiting to take delivery of, I'm going with the Yoko's for winter. I'm doing that because the stock conti's on my current 2012 LR4 performed horribly in the snow and I don't want to go through that again.

If you drive in poor conditions often during the winter, I would strongly urge you to get some tires that are better suited for the task. The stock conti's are well known to be poor performers on anything but warm dry roads. After 3 years experience with them, I have yet to wrap my head around why Land Rover chose to equip them on a vehicle touted for it's all terrain abilities. It surely came down to a money issue, no way it won any performance comparison.

As for size, it really all comes down to the sidewall. The bigger sidewall, the smoother ride to put it very basically. So yes, you will likely enjoy the ride of the 18's more than your 20's if the 18's have a taller sidewall. If not, you won't notice much difference.

aj22

Reaction score
I got the Nokians. They were the same price as the Blizzaks. Expecting 8 inches of snow here tomorrow, but I'm leaving town. I'm going to wait until the next storm is brewing and then throw them on.

Just ordered Nokian R2s, never had Nokian before, hope they're half as good as everyone says. Where'd you find Nokian for the same price as Blizzaks? I got close, but maybe $30-40 more for the Nokian.

Hope to have them mounted in a week or so.

Was really tempted by the WRG3, they actually have a 50k treadlife warranty, and some solid reviews. Maybe next set...

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry for the confusion. The Duratracs are the tires I run year around on my Jeep Wrangler.

For my 2015 LR4 I'm waiting to take delivery of, I'm going with the Yoko's for winter. I'm doing that because the stock conti's on my current 2012 LR4 performed horribly in the snow and I don't want to go through that again.

If you drive in poor conditions often during the winter, I would strongly urge you to get some tires that are better suited for the task. The stock conti's are well known to be poor performers on anything but warm dry roads. After 3 years experience with them, I have yet to wrap my head around why Land Rover chose to equip them on a vehicle touted for it's all terrain abilities. It surely came down to a money issue, no way it won any performance comparison.

As for size, it really all comes down to the sidewall. The bigger sidewall, the smoother ride to put it very basically. So yes, you will likely enjoy the ride of the 18's more than your 20's if the 18's have a taller sidewall. If not, you won't notice much difference.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah I agree on the Conti's. The 18s I would run are the 265/65/18 so def more sidewall. I think one of the main issues is that the steering is so loose on these, hoping the 18s would facilitate a tighter ride.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Yeah I agree on the Conti's. The 18s I would run are the 265/65/18 so def more sidewall. I think one of the main issues is that the steering is so loose on these, hoping the 18s would facilitate a tighter ride.

What do you mean by tighter? The 18's with that tall of a sidewall will not tighten up neither the ride or steering it will actually do the opposite. It will take away more of what little feel there is to begin with. It will ride softer but not tighter. That is, assuming we have the same definition of that word lol.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by tighter? The 18's with that tall of a sidewall will not tighten up neither the ride or steering it will actually do the opposite. It will take away more of what little feel there is to begin with. It will ride softer but not tighter. That is, assuming we have the same definition of that word lol.

Not tight suspension wise, steering is what I was referring to. I don't like to feel every single bump in the road, or be thrown around by them. I am hoping the softer ride will eliminate a lot of the road shift by absorbing some of the impact of these fine Oklahoma roads.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not tight suspension wise, steering is what I was referring to. I don't like to feel every single bump in the road, or be thrown around by them. I am hoping the softer ride will eliminate a lot of the road shift by absorbing some of the impact of these fine Oklahoma roads.

Oh ok then yes I think you will be happy with that change then. You should notice a difference for sure.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from Discount Tire Direct. They were at my door in 3 days (getting installed now). I think the price difference was $30 from the Blizzaks. Figured it was worth the $30 to get the Nokians considering how much people rave about them. Will know soon. Another round of ice tonight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72