My new LR3 (painted plastic)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I

Insomnia

Hi, I am new here. I recently purchased a 2005 LR3 SE and so far I can't stop looking at it. I have never loved a car this much. There was mention of not liking lighter colors with paited plastic in another thread, I must say I whole heartedly disagree. To each his own, but I think the white looks fantastic with the jet black interior. The all white/ all black approach is actually attractive in my eyes. I am however not what one would called a 'rugged' individual. I think I may be closer to the metrosexual side of the spectrum so that could be the reason for me enjoying the painted plastic! Tel me what you guys think about the pictures and be honest, I know that this will not be everyones cup of tea. Love the forum and love you guys information on LR. You guys made me feel more comfortable about the buy. It wouldnt let me insert pics or hyperlink, so you will have t copy and paste links sorry!

http://www.geocities.com/soonernews/lr3a.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/soonernews/lr3b.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/soonernews/lr3c.jpg

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, still don't like it. And, as I said previously, I like white. As always, personal taste. Anyway... welcome to the forum!

A

alanmeyer

You did a real nice job with the colors. Personally, I prefer the original scheme because it gives the LR3 a more rugged edge. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... so enjoy your work!

N

NHESS81

Yes, it looks very clean and more....street style expensive. Its all good, reminds me of like a husky work/snow dog--in a good way--like it looks sharp but still under all that paint, its a Land Rover. I do not think there is a bigger gap in any one car family, between die hard off roaders and die ******* roaders as there is in Land Rover. I like what you did with your truck, but you might catch a little bit of flak for making it too 'pimped'...whatever...I just wish LR didnt call the Discovery 3 the LR3 that is my major pet peeve that and all the electronic traction control, and the fitting of the spare under the rear (!blasphemy for off roaders!)...buuuut, I would totally take an LR3 if i could afford it no doubt, something about them make me happy....

...now, how much did it cost? Use special paint? How do you know it wont vibrate and flake it off? Will the plastic flex under wind on highway and crack paint? I want to know how you did it and how long you think it will last?

I

Insomnia

NHESS81 said:
Yes, it looks very clean and more....street style expensive. Its all good, reminds me of like a husky work/snow dog--in a good way--like it looks sharp but still under all that paint, its a Land Rover. I do not think there is a bigger gap in any one car family, between die hard off roaders and die ******* roaders as there is in Land Rover. I like what you did with your truck, but you might catch a little bit of flak for making it too 'pimped'...whatever...I just wish LR didnt call the Discovery 3 the LR3 that is my major pet peeve that and all the electronic traction control, and the fitting of the spare under the rear (!blasphemy for off roaders!)...buuuut, I would totally take an LR3 if i could afford it no doubt, something about them make me happy....

...now, how much did it cost? Use special paint? How do you know it wont vibrate and flake it off? Will the plastic flex under wind on highway and crack paint? I want to know how you did it and how long you think it will last?

Oh I bought the truck with the painted plastic. I am not sure how ong it will last, I did however test it by a manual powerwash. So far so good, but who knows how long it will last. I do think it was professionally done for it matches perfectly and looks as glossy as the paint on the truck.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover now offers pre-painted arches in three colors. Maybe it will save a little time/expense for the style conscious:
Wheel Arch Moulding (Java Black - set of 6) DGP500580PNF
Wheel Arch Moulding (Bonatti Grey - set of 6) DGP500580LAL
Wheel Arch Moulding (Zambezi Silver - set of 6) DGP500580MVC

Suggested retail is somewhere around $1100 for the set.

M

Matt_Grim2

Insomnia said:
Oh I bought the truck with the painted plastic. I am not sure how ong it will last, I did however test it by a manual powerwash. So far so good, but who knows how long it will last. I do think it was professionally done for it matches perfectly and looks as glossy as the paint on the truck.

Insomnia,

Like the LR3 painted, Not a fan of Lighter Colors but it looks great, Glad to see more pictures of it done as I am the guy in the other thread that Gromment Linked to in this one that I want to get it done...

I am with on on how you described you Rover style, its the same as mine, I am more the Street Style but not the "bling bling" type...

My questions for you are
1)why did you do the mirrors and not the doorhandles & rear hatch ?
2)that is where i am on the border as to weather or not to do the mirrors, doorhandles and tailgate ? what do you think ? I don't want it to look over done or to have the couple peices left look out of place...

M

Matt_Grim2

NHESS81 said:

Totally agree w/ you bro, Land Rovers are the only Vehicles that have the Die-hard Offroad group and the Die ******* road cruisers, they are the only cars that you can do either way and look amazing...

bizdack

Reaction score
Not to start a "car-color-choice" discussion here but I too love cars in white. I initially requested a white LR3 with black interior but that is hard to come by hence I got the Java Black instead.

I am very pleased I went with black (though a pain to maintain compared to white) all the more when I had a white LR3 loaner.

Anyway, back to the topic.. here is a link to a white LR3 that had the plastic moldings, door handles, portion of the side mirros and tailgate handle painted.

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8689

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM