Nav and Radio Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the few months I've had it enabled, I haven't seen the warning light/message come on. I'm kind of curious to see what it looks like (but really don't want to tempt fate with that comment). Of course, I'm just about at the minimum level in my coolant reservoir right now, so I wonder at what point it will trip the message.

It certainly would have been nice to know that my coolant level was low when my plastic bleed tee broke and all my coolant came pouring out of it. Of course, there were many other signs to tell me what happened, but it would have been nice to know as quickly as possible.

It comes up on the message center on the dash just like most notifications...

LaRebell

Reaction score
Found out my Problemsss...

I had the issues with the Nav and radio. I later turned into all kind of system faults brake fault(2 of them), trans fault, air ride fault, to many to remember them all. I replaced the brake light switch, no help. Replaced the battery, no help. So I carried it to my local Land Rover dealer. Let me say they where a class act!! Could not have been happier with them. They fixed my lr3 in 30min and washed, vacuumed out my trk, and best of all reasonable price. My problem was the ABS system and transfer case where not talking to each other (layman terms). The quick fix was a bad ground on my ABS system. Hope this helps someone else out there. Thanks for everyones help!!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What other alerts do we have to low coolant? Temp gauge? Is that it? Overheating would be a death blow to our engines....this one would be good to know!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
engine temperature indicator

As best I can determine, beside the fuel gauge, the other round gauge with the needle, that for the mostly sits horizontally, is effectively an engine temperature indicator rather than a coolant gauge.

My understanding of the operation of the indicator is that it gets its information from the engine computer and as such, only indirectly from the coolant temperature sensor.

There is also an oil temperature sensor located near the oil filter that feeds information to the engine computer. The reading of the indicator is some combination of the two, the coolant and oil temperatures.

Apparently if the coolant temperature sensor fails, the oil temperature sensor readings are supposed to take over via the engine computer.

Also the engine computer programming is designed to make certain that the needle display always shows nears the middle regardless of engine conditions - assuming the computer regards those conditions as within norms.

This was a service and marketing requirement as apparently a temperature needle that runs at different positions causes owners to hassle the service department with questions as to why the needle position changes. The official term for this "horizontal needle design" is damping.

You may note that most Series LR vehicles, and for that matter, many other vehicles do not have a temperature indicator, only a light that goes on indicating over temperature, or something like that - in other words, it indicates bad news rather than showing a trend to bad news - what ideally a non damped temperature gauge would show.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the engine computer programming is designed to make certain that the needle display always shows nears the middle regardless of engine conditions - assuming the computer regards those conditions as within norms.

This was a service and marketing requirement as apparently a temperature needle that runs at different positions causes owners to hassle the service department with questions as to why the needle position changes. The official term for this "horizontal needle design" is damping.

I think all cars employ "horizontal damping" in their engine/coolant needle position. Usually, there is very wide band of temperatures which are "OK" and result in a horizontal needle. It seems that the engine or coolant temperature vs. needle position is linear up to a certain point, then the needle simply doesn't move as long as the temp is in the "ok zone". After you get above that comfort range, I assume it's a another linear relation until you get to the "oh **** zone".

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to watch that needle....especially on the long drive home from the Yukon Territory last March (sub-freezing temps) I tended to keep an eye on it and now it's a habit. That said, I still think an alert of some kind when the temp is out-of-range would be a darn good thing.

I have a buddy that overheated his LR3 a few months ago; just re-engined it. He was alerted to it...I don't remember what kind of indications he said he got. I will ask him again at some point.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Message centre may display cooling system concerns.

I have a Scan Gage II connected to my OBD port, in part my solution to knowing what the coolant temperature is. The temperature numbers displayed seem to come right from the coolant temperature sensor as the numbers change with weather / temperature conditions.

Normal is about 197F on perhaps 65F day; 180F or there abouts is what I tend to see in the winter on a -20F day and around 202F is what I see on an 80F day in the summer.

I gather my engine thermostat is a nominal 195F unit.

The owners manual on page 89 says the Message Centre will display a warning message that reads COOLING SYSTEM FAULT - MONITOR GAUGE, but fortunately, I have never seen it.

There is also a message displayed on page 91 that reads LOW COOLANT LEVEL but I expect we would never see that message as the system is probably turned off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99