Need a New Front Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photodisco

Reaction score
Have had a whining/droning sound that has been getting progressively worse over the last year. First, thought it might be tires, so i bought a new set of ATR's (glad i did) but that did not fix the problem. Took it in today for its 45k service (little over 46k) and was told that some bearing had given way and since the front diff is "sealed" the entire diff needs to be replaced. Needless to say, GLAD it is under warranty....
This is giving me good reason to look at extended warranties. i bought one for my Disco II and that was the best money i ever spent (but that truck gave problems from day 1 / I still have it and love it dearly). The LR3 on the contrary has been very reliable from Day 1....are these diffs prone to failure? All i need is for the rear to go in the next 36k and that would pretty much be the price of the warranty...

Thoughts?

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front and rear diff go out at 71k (2005 V8 SE). Front diff seal wore out and leaked fluid, I didn't notice anything different with the rear diff but the dealer heard a roaring noise and decided it was safer to replace them both at the same time. My Easycare warranty has definitely paid itself over. This also makes my 87k mile maintenance cheaper since they won't have to change the diff fluids (I have 80k on it now).

NeilP

Reaction score
The bad news is that Factory replacement diffs are as bad as the originals.
Vehicles here in Oz and over in the UK have diff failures on 1 year old stuff !
Component quality is NOT improving. I've just taken out a 3 year extended
no excess warranty ( USD2140 for 3 years ) since just about ALL the parts
will cost this with fitting ! Even though my 28 monthold LR3 has no problems,
it's money well spent since I intend to keep it for 6 years " policy covered ".
Consider yourselves very lucky indeed that LR does not have the diesel LR3
avalable in the States . The engine in total crap , and responsible for nearly
100% of ALL LR3 engine problems. The Defender Puma is just as bad too !
As I type this , there is a recall on fuel pump failures . The whole system can
fail due to gasket "bits" destroying the high pressure pump and injectors.
Replacement cost all up is USD12,500 if out of warranty !!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer