Need to replace pads and rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolpilgrim

Reaction score
I need to replace both front and back pads and rotors. Got a quote of $1300 from LR Hanover, south shore of Boston. Any suggestions on alternatives on the south shore that are cheaper but do quality work? Thanks!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my front rotors at 20k. I was quite annoyed for them wearing out that fast, and not being able to turn them.

I bought EBC drilled/slotted Rotors and Green Stuff pads and replaced all the way around. I still have the rotors on at 92k and going strong. At each pad replacement I get them lightly trued and cross hatched. It is more expensive up front, but you won't regret it.

When I initially ordered I had to order from a distributor, you can now buy them at auto stores, such as Pep Boys. If this is something you are considering, and need part numbers, etc. reply back.

My experience has been that when my front pads go, the rear will go within 3k, so I change all pads at once each time. Fitting at a dealer is 125 front and 125 rear, so if you get a higher quote you are overpaying.

You can find the "where to buy" in the US, etc. on their site. I have been lucky, the pads do not last as long in my opinion as stock, but that's sort of the trade off for longer lasting drilled & slotted rotors, etc. I've had good luck with mileage, but you should have to rotors trued up at each pad replacement, or soon after installation bedding you'll get brake judder.

EBC 3GD Sport Brake Disc - Front PART#: E35GD1339 MFR#: GD1339
EBC 3GD Sport Brake Disc - Rear PART#: E35GD1340 MFR#: GD1340
EBC Greenstuff 6000 Brake Pad Set - Front PART#: E35DP61541 MFR#: DP61541
EBC Greenstuff 6000 Brake Pad Set - Rear PART#: E35DP61542 MFR#: DP61542

cheers

todd

PM me for Diff Parts

coolpilgrim

Reaction score
Thanks Todd I appreciate the info!

I had to replace my front rotors at 20k. I was quite annoyed for them wearing out that fast, and not being able to turn them.

I bought EBC drilled/slotted Rotors and Green Stuff pads and replaced all the way around. I still have the rotors on at 92k and going strong. At each pad replacement I get them lightly trued and cross hatched. It is more expensive up front, but you won't regret it.

When I initially ordered I had to order from a distributor, you can now buy them at auto stores, such as Pep Boys. If this is something you are considering, and need part numbers, etc. reply back.

My experience has been that when my front pads go, the rear will go within 3k, so I change all pads at once each time. Fitting at a dealer is 125 front and 125 rear, so if you get a higher quote you are overpaying.

You can find the "where to buy" in the US, etc. on their site. I have been lucky, the pads do not last as long in my opinion as stock, but that's sort of the trade off for longer lasting drilled & slotted rotors, etc. I've had good luck with mileage, but you should have to rotors trued up at each pad replacement, or soon after installation bedding you'll get brake judder.

EBC 3GD Sport Brake Disc - Front PART#: E35GD1339 MFR#: GD1339
EBC 3GD Sport Brake Disc - Rear PART#: E35GD1340 MFR#: GD1340
EBC Greenstuff 6000 Brake Pad Set - Front PART#: E35DP61541 MFR#: DP61541
EBC Greenstuff 6000 Brake Pad Set - Rear PART#: E35DP61542 MFR#: DP61542

cheers

todd

PM me for Diff Parts

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the most basic of things that ANY mechanic could do. I'd suggest calling a few local shops (if you don't want to do it yourself) and ask how much to put the stuff on if you brought them the parts. It couldn't take an hour, so I'm guessing someone would be happy to do it for $100-$150. Then buy the parts online for $450-$550. Done, half off.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had recently had an expensive quote also from the dealer for rear brakes, i purchased parts online from atlantic british and had them put on at a local shop for 40 bucks, really cant go wrong!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had any good luck with 2nd rate brake parts. That said, if you are going to buy discount rotors and pads, by all means buy the LR OEM as they are at least manufactured to meet the LR Standards.

The difference in the EBC vs OEM is that they are not harder necessarily but that they are made with more material, ie: thicker wear, heavier duty, probably a better alloy, etc.. There are some other rotors out there as well, speaking of harder, etc. that are cryogenic treated, etc. ( http://www.frozenrotors.com/category/frozen-rotors-slotted/ ) I called them and had a lengthy discussion about the product. They are one of the top 3 outfits out there. I would avoid any other one. The price on these are far better than the EBC if money is an issue, they might well be worth a try. There are also rotors advertised as "lifetime" rotors, and likely priced that was as well. When you read the fine print, there are exclusion limitations, etc.

Like everything else, it's a personal choice thing in the end. LR should ship the vehicles with these, but then again... they wouldn't be selling many rotors then would they..

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend having a spare front and rear brake sensor too, Its hit and miss on breaking them when the brakes are swapped. Mostly my fault but none the less annoying when the reminder pops and the light is on.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tlt: Do you have any noise issues with the 3GD Sport rotors? I had them on my old GX470, and it sounded like a prop airplane, even when just cruising. Did not go over well with the wife, albeit the performance improvement with the Hawk truck pads was massive over OE.

I just ordered the EBC Ultimax black dash rotors, which give up a little performance for quieter operation. I'm matching these with the EBC Green 6000 Truck pads.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi;

No I have not had any noise issues with them. I would venture to say, they might be a hair more noisy than the stock, but nothing to be concerned about at all. I don't notice any noise, the rims make a lot of wind noise if the windows are down though, particularly at certain low speeds.

I am sure that with any EBC product you should have no regrets.

cheers

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the EBC line and the idea of replacing rotors. EBC's are not what they are made out to be, consider using a set of high end Akebono ceramic pads, not dust, no squeak, stop better then OEM pads and cause less wear on the rotors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4