Need to replace pads and rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

penguinrover

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I rely on this message board for all my Rover advice, so thanks to all. Unfortunately never got around to broadening my car knowledge thus far in my life...hopefully I can in the future.

Anyway, looks like I'll go with the Akebono ceramic pads, OEM rotors, and OEM sensors and try to find an independent shop to do the install. I don't know enough between drilled, slotted, etc rotors and from all the threads I've read seems like can't go wrong with the OEM rotors.

penguinrover

Reaction score
Of course this is all based on the dealer telling me I need both new brakes and rotors. I assume these are both original brakes and rotors at 54k (I purchased at 39k). Only problem I have ever had is high pitched squeaking of front brakes at 5mph or less (as in driving through McDonalds...stopping and creeping). Do not squeak at higher rates of speed and never hear anything from the back.

Given these symptoms and the apparent age on them, do you think that replacing pads, rotors, and sensors is the correct option? Thanks again!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course this is all based on the dealer telling me I need both new brakes and rotors. I assume these are both original brakes and rotors at 54k (I purchased at 39k). Only problem I have ever had is high pitched squeaking of front brakes at 5mph or less (as in driving through McDonalds...stopping and creeping). Do not squeak at higher rates of speed and never hear anything from the back.

Given these symptoms and the apparent age on them, do you think that replacing pads, rotors, and sensors is the correct option? Thanks again!

Yes. We dealt with deafening screeching on ours until I replaced pads and rotors. It's silent now. Check your rotors, how deep of a lip is there around the perimeter? I had between 1/8" and 3/16" and I felt it necessary to replace rotors as well. However you don't have to replace the rotors if they have good life in them, I just wanted to do it once and be done.

Also, if you go back with factory style pads, the screeching will come back. It's caused by brake dust. If you get ceramic pads, the dust goes away and so does the sound.

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4