New 06 LR3 HSE - a couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First post. Just bought an 06 LR3 HSE - Silver on tan. 75k miles. Excellent condition - we love it. Look forward to using this board to learn more. Some pics:
http://www.specialtiesauto.com/detail-2006-land_rover-lr3-hse-used-4808775.html

A few questions to get me started:

1. Repair manual. I have found a link to landroverresource.com that allows a download of the "Rave" - but this doesn't cover an LR3. Is there something similar for the LR3? Or am I going to have to buy something?

2. What are the best floor mats for this rig? These? http://bputah.com/LR3/lr3_rubber_mats.htm

3. There is a really bad rattle in the roof near the front sunroof. If I am driving, and push up on the headliner right next to the small black tab that you grab to pull the shade closed, the rattle goes away. Is there something up in there near the shade roller that is known to rattle? Hints? Tips?

That's a good start for now. Thanks for any feedback/comments.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club.

1. http://www.landrovertechinfo.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp GTR is per day feee, but you can download as much as you want.
2. I have those and like them. I didnt look to see if that was a good price. best bet to do a quick google.
3. I have this too since the overhead DVD player install. I have a yellow button snap that periodically comes undone. I push on it as you describe and the rattle goes away until the next big pothole. One or more of your headliner snaps maybe broken. The deal sells these (maybe also available at GM dealer much cheaper). Easy access from the dome light - just pull down on the the rear of the light.

bonus answer: dont be surprised when the good-for-a-year tires dont last 20K miles. Lots of threads here about better replacement options.

Enjoy it and get it off road!

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
morrisdl - in #3, when you refer to the dome light, are you referring to the dome light on the 2nd row of seats, which might give me access towards the front of the vehicle? (which is the actual direction I need to gain access to)

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome calibre. Are you in Utah? Are you planning on doing any off-roading? JFYI, The Utah Land Rover dealership (in Centerville) is planning a Moab trip in May.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, in Utah. I've actually heard they were planning a trip (when I was test driving one of theirs), but I wasn't sure I could join, as I didn't buy the rig from the dealership (in Centerville). I'm actually not too far away from that dealership, so maybe I should stop in and get some more info.

Yes, I'll be offroading - have plans to take it to Moab in April, and I'll have to see when they are going down in May. Thanks for the heads up. You in this area as well?

Welcome calibre. Are you in Utah? Are you planning on doing any off-roading? JFYI, The Utah Land Rover dealership (in Centerville) is planning a Moab trip in May.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, in Utah. I've actually heard they were planning a trip (when I was test driving one of theirs), but I wasn't sure I could join, as I didn't buy the rig from the dealership (in Centerville). I'm actually not too far away from that dealership, so maybe I should stop in and get some more info.

They do have some events that are only for those who have purchased vehicles from them, but the annual moab trip is for all Land Rover owners. In fact, you might not even have to own a Land Rover--I'm not sure. I didn't buy my LR3 from them either.

The trip is May 20-22. It's $599 for two nights of hotel for up to four people, a reception one night, a BBQ the next, and two days of guided offroading. Alternatively, you can make your own plans for hotel or camping.

Yes, I'll be offroading - have plans to take it to Moab in April, and I'll have to see when they are going down in May. Thanks for the heads up.

Awesome. I am trying to get a Moab trip planned this year also. Unfortunately, I have something else going on during the dealer Moab trip in May.

You in this area as well?

Yep! I'm in Utah county.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
morrisdl - in #3, when you refer to the dome light, are you referring to the dome light on the 2nd row of seats, which might give me access towards the front of the vehicle? (which is the actual direction I need to gain access to)

Yup, i removed the 2nd row light to reach my rattle. After reviewing your post, your need is not clear if its the front or the rear of the sunroof (mine was rear). Either way, both dome lights pop out the same way. I had the front one out as a temp (becoming more permanent) location for my GPS antenna.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, i removed the 2nd row light to reach my rattle. After reviewing your post, your need is not clear if its the front or the rear of the sunroof (mine was rear). Either way, both dome lights pop out the same way. I had the front one out as a temp (becoming more permanent) location for my GPS antenna.

Mine was the rear of the sunroof as well, so removing the dome light in the second row gave me a good view - thanks. It seems there is a bracket that drops from some sort of metal piece, and connects to the headliner. That bracket, where it meets the headliner, seemed to be where the rattling was coming from. The connection seemed OK (it wasn't broken or anything), but it must be just loose enough to vibrate. I jammed a couple pieces of foam here and there, sprayed some bicycle chain lube on the bracket, and am going to hope for the best. Initial test drives are indicating I have solved it.

1. Can anyone picture this bracket that I speak of? Anyone else had these rattle? It is almost directly above the drivers' and passengers' head.

2. Adaptive headlights - the motors/movement - does anyone know if these need to be lubricated in any way? Should they move in an absolute smooth way, or do they sometime move in a "robotic" motion?

Thanks, everyone.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are robotic. The movements are abrupt and certainly more pronounced at slower speeds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4