New Disco 2 with a few minor leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tuleymatic

Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm new to this site and have recently acquired a 2003 Disco 2. Once I parked it at the house I noticed it was 'Leaving it's mark' as these vehicles seem to be known for. I'd like to nip these leaks in the butt now before I decide to take it on a longer trip.

I think it's ready for a new oil pan gasket as I can see oil coming from some of the bolts on the pan. I'm not sure how to approach what looks to be gear oil leaking from the "transmission pan?". I've attached some pictures. Your feedback is appreciated! IMG_1050.JPGIMG_1048.JPGIMG_1047.JPG

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Power wash it to see where the leak is.

Tuleymatic

Reaction score
Hey Joey, thanks for responding. I gave it a good wash and hopefully I'll be able to tell soon. I'll report what comes out of it when I have a chance.

It was time change the differential fluid so I went ahead and did that. I figured since I was as down there I would check the fluid level of the transfer case and add a little just in case. I have a 7 quart drip pan and when I popped the fill plug on on the transfer case oil came flooding out. Almost 2 quarts worth without pulling the drain plug. Once I pulled the drain plug I got about another 2 quarts.

As I understand it the transfer case only takes about 2 quarts to fill up, correct? I'm not sure how that much fluid could be in there. I filled it back up and it started overflowing from the full cap just shy of 2 quarts. I'm interested to hear some thoughts on how this could have happened. Bear in mind I don't know when serviced this transfer case, or when, before I owned this truck.

All three of my magnetic plugs looked like the picture attached

IMG_1057.JPG

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That is way too much gear oil in the T-Case. I am not even sure how you would get that much in it. And that plug isn't very clean so I would go maybe 5k miles and change all the fluids again. I don't think your rover was loved at all in its previous years.

Tuleymatic

Reaction score
Agreed. The more I become familiar with it, the more I see signs of neglect. I haven't noticed any new leaking from the T-Case so that is good. I'll clean it out really well again and keep any eye on it. I think I'll just take care of the transmission filter and gasket and oil pan gasket to cover the bases. I'm looking to get many more miles out of this baby. Thanks for your tips Joey.

Rubidium

Reaction score
Near the top of the transfer case is a plug hole for an unused sensor or switch which is sealed by a plug which looks a little like a fill plug. If some newbie has used it to fill the T-case, he'll have put an extra 2 quarts in.
Of course, this extra oil will also begin to find its way out through the breather, accounting for the oil leak on your drive.
It sounds like you should have remedied the problem now.

(I know this because I was that newbie once....!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72