New guy with a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lotusross

Hi everyone,

I wish I'd done this sooner, I've had my 1998 Discovery for a year now.

Well - I'll get right to the point -

The Check Engine light came on, some time ago. I took it to the garage today ( I have 4 cars, so it wasn't pressing ) and they tell me the codes are dealer only.

Despite my urge to kick myself for not knowing this BEFORE I bought the car, I decided to look you fine people up and join your group.

P.S. - It hasn't left me stranded ( recently ) but the little yellow light now annoys me.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two lights concerning the engine that may come on. One is a service engine light, and the other is a check engine light. The service engine light is simply a light that makes sure that people will service the engine every so many miles. The other light is the one that you DO NOT want to go off. Autozone can hook their computer and see what code it is giving, and then you can check on this site to see what is wrong with you rover. Good luck.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jason,
On a side note - what are your other vehicles (if you don't mind me asking)? Feel free to respond by starting a new thread in the "introductions" section.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kicking yourself for not knowing that reading codes is done by special tools? Dont do it.

Plus its D1, isnt it. You most likely can just look under passenger seat and read codes yourself on wee screen, and then decode them using people on this site or looking it up on robinson service webiste :)

D

DISCVRY

In order to look under the passenger seat to read the codes, you need a D1 that is older than a '96. I have a '96, and to read the codes, you need an OBDII reader of some kind. and one that has a library of "Rover" codes. Otherwise it will just give generic readings, and these are not always the same thing.

-Reed

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes mine too! Until last week. I bought a good code reader, took codes to WWW.Genden Codebank.co.uk. to get definitions. Best of Luck!

From a Quite Famous Rover Owner: Never, Never, Never, Never Give Up!

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would ask here, seemed appropriate. Anyway, I've got the infamous cel on my '98. I need to get a code reader and was wondering where to get one from and how much should I expect to pay? TIA

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, I got a KAL Equip. OBD II scanner from the local Napa auto parts store. Works great, has freeze frame, & code library, turns off "check engine light" when you're done. I keep a paper log of my "cel" occurances for future referance. Any good code reader will do, but I feel that I got a pretty good unit for around $230.00. It's very solidly built, has own carry case, fits well in a dry-box w/Repair Manual. Don't leave home w/out it. Thank You, LRW.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lonnie, thats the info I'm looking for. 230 seems steep but to me is probably worth it in the long run.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM