New LR4 or Used Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I am still in the decision process on the car I am going to get....probably within the next month. If someone were to ask me, as my husband has many times, if money was not an option and you could buy any car in the world, what car would you choose? I would hands down say a new white Range Rover. I love the look and prestige of them...and I have for years. Just love them. Now, a new RR is WAY out of my price range so I have never seriously considered it.

Well, I have found at a few dealerships online, several white 2008 and one 2009 white Range Rovers, tan interior, with less than 25K miles on it for the same price as a new LR4, which is also a car that I love. My question is to anyone who has experience with the Range Rover, specifically the 2008 models. I know I will be losing 2 seats if I choose the RR, but I have been researching that year and it seems they are pretty good cars. I will be purchasing an extended warranty with either vehicle, so I am not concerned about that. I also understand this is the LR4 forum, so it may be a bit biased.

Does anyone know anything about the 2008 Range Rovers (non sport)? It is my dream car, but if I hear negatives about it and if the cons outweight the pros of the new LR4, than I dont know what I will do.

I appreciate anyone's feedback. I live 1 1/2 hrs from the closest dealer and it would be worth it for a Range Rover......just dont know what I want to do now...I honestly did not know a Range Rover with low miles and only a few years old, would be in my price range.

Thanks in advance for any advice....great forum....I have learned SO much about these gorgeous trucks!

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the double post....not sure how that happened

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you priced out the extended warranty on the used Range Rover yet?

We were looking at '08 Sports a couple weeks ago, and the extended warranty was more than double what it cost us on our Lexus GX, which was also 3 years old when we bought it.

In the end, we decided on a new LR4 instead. While the 3rd row wasn't a requirement for us, we will actually use it on occasion. (Oh, and BTW, it's white)

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you priced out the extended warranty on the used Range Rover yet?

We were looking at '08 Sports a couple weeks ago, and the extended warranty was more than double what it cost us on our Lexus GX, which was also 3 years old when we bought it.

In the end, we decided on a new LR4 instead. While the 3rd row wasn't a requirement for us, we will actually use it on occasion. (Oh, and BTW, it's white)

I think, in terms of warranty, what I'm going to do is purchase the extended warranty program through my insurer Geico, where for about $20 a month or less, it is a full extended warranty where they cover everything and all I pay is a $250 deductible no matter what the cost. It is highly rated and people swear by it and I like the idea of a huge company standing behind my warranty. I'm sure most insurers offer this now.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, for me I had to go with the LR3/LR4 because the cargo area seats fold flat. I am regularly using that rear area with all seats folded down and it is a dealbreaker for me on a car.

That said, I like the external styling of the RR more than the LR3/4. If the feature differences are okay with you, get your dream car! I don't think either will be any more or less reliable.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think, in terms of warranty, what I'm going to do is purchase the extended warranty program through my insurer Geico, where for about $20 a month or less, it is a full extended warranty where they cover everything and all I pay is a $250 deductible no matter what the cost. It is highly rated and people swear by it and I like the idea of a huge company standing behind my warranty. I'm sure most insurers offer this now.

If you can get a solid warranty on a used Range Rover for 20 bucks a month, that's a steal.

The pricing I was getting for a 3 year, 60,000 total vehicle mile warranty on an '08 Sport was over $3K. The truck already had about 30k on it, so I would have gotten another 30k miles of coverage.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get a solid warranty on a used Range Rover for 20 bucks a month, that's a steal.

The pricing I was getting for a 3 year, 60,000 total vehicle mile warranty on an '08 Sport was over $3K. The truck already had about 30k on it, so I would have gotten another 30k miles of coverage.

Well....crap...after reading your post, I started thinking about it to make sure I understood the extended warranty or as Geico calls it (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) or MBI. It must be purchased on a new or leased car under 15 months old and can be renewed for seven years. It covers it all with just the $250 deductable, but it wouldnt work for a 2008 vehicle. Sooooo..... that is now a big Con in the RR column. Glad you made me question it. LR4 is looking better at this point..... But dang I love that white RR :proud:

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go look at/drive a white LR4 HSE LUX. That might change your mind :) So, I found a Range Rover only forum earlier this morning that I was looking at (because I too drool over them...) anyways from what I was reading and have read there is a pretty big difference between the 2008 and current MY. Obviously it is a super nice and luxurious truck but with the redesign of the LR4 the quality and "luxury" feel might be negligible with the '08 RR. Having said that my experience and familiarization with RRs is limited to looking at them in the showroom at my dealership when I bought my LR4. Again these comments are gleaned from what I have read. I don't know if you have said in this or other posts but have you driven the new LR4? Just curious. Good luck with whatever direction you go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink