New LR4 or used Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I am still in the decision process on the car I am going to get....probably within the next month. If someone were to ask me, as my husband has many times, if money was not an option and you could buy any car in the world, what car would you choose? I would hands down say a new white Range Rover. I love the look and prestige of them...and I have for years. Just love them. Now, a new RR is WAY out of my price range so I have never seriously considered it.

Well, I have found at a few dealerships online, several white 2008 and one 2009 white Range Rovers, tan interior, with less than 25K miles on it for the same price as a new LR4, which is also a car that I love. My question is to anyone who has experience with the Range Rover, specifically the 2008 models. I know I will be losing 2 seats if I choose the RR, but I have been researching that year and it seems they are pretty good cars. I will be purchasing an extended warranty with either vehicle, so I am not concerned about that. I also understand this is the LR4 forum, so it may be a bit biased.

Does anyone know anything about the 2008 Range Rovers (non sport)? Specifically, do you know of any major issues for that year? It is my dream car, but if I hear negatives about it and if the cons outweight the pros of the new LR4, than I dont know what I will do.

I appreciate anyone's feedback. I live 1 1/2 hrs from the closest dealer and it would be worth it for a Range Rover......just dont know what I want to do now...I honestly did not know a Range Rover with low miles and only a few years old, would be in my price range.

Thanks in advance for any advice....great forum....I have learned SO much about these gorgeous trucks!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I am still in the decision process on the car I am going to get....probably within the next month. If someone were to ask me, as my husband has many times, if money was not an option and you could buy any car in the world, what car would you choose? I would hands down say a new white Range Rover. I love the look and prestige of them...and I have for years. Just love them. Now, a new RR is WAY out of my price range so I have never seriously considered it.

Well, I have found at a few dealerships online, several white 2008 and one 2009 white Range Rovers, tan interior, with less than 25K miles on it for the same price as a new LR4, which is also a car that I love. My question is to anyone who has experience with the Range Rover, specifically the 2008 models. I know I will be losing 2 seats if I choose the RR, but I have been researching that year and it seems they are pretty good cars. I will be purchasing an extended warranty with either vehicle, so I am not concerned about that. I also understand this is the LR4 forum, so it may be a bit biased.

Does anyone know anything about the 2008 Range Rovers (non sport)? Specifically, do you know of any major issues for that year? It is my dream car, but if I hear negatives about it and if the cons outweight the pros of the new LR4, than I dont know what I will do.

I appreciate anyone's feedback. I live 1 1/2 hrs from the closest dealer and it would be worth it for a Range Rover......just dont know what I want to do now...I honestly did not know a Range Rover with low miles and only a few years old, would be in my price range.

Thanks in advance for any advice....great forum....I have learned SO much about these gorgeous trucks!

Hi UGAgirl97,
NEw LR4 Hands down!!! MY buisness partner baught a 2008 fully loaded Range ROver Brand NEw. Cost upwards of 90k at the time. Great machine, but had some issues with it with air suspension and other electrical issues. All repairs were covered under warantee, but a pain in the a@@. He LOVES the Range ROver though and wouldn't trade it for any other car. If you decide to get the used RR make sure you get an extended warantee as all RRs and LRs are very expenssive to fix. Since the closest dealer is 1.5 hours away, I personally would go with a brand new vehicle to minimize the chance of problems. You can get the Lux LR4 which has the same options as the RR and IMO looks better.
Good luck and I hope you have a good buying experience. PLease post some pics when you get the new ride.
George

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi UGAgirl97,
NEw LR4 Hands down!!! MY buisness partner baught a 2008 fully loaded Range ROver Brand NEw. Cost upwards of 90k at the time. Great machine, but had some issues with it with air suspension and other electrical issues. All repairs were covered under warantee, but a pain in the a@@. He LOVES the Range ROver though and wouldn't trade it for any other car. If you decide to get the used RR make sure you get an extended warantee as all RRs and LRs are very expenssive to fix. Since the closest dealer is 1.5 hours away, I personally would go with a brand new vehicle to minimize the chance of problems. You can get the Lux LR4 which has the same options as the RR and IMO looks better.
Good luck and I hope you have a good buying experience. PLease post some pics when you get the new ride.
George

Thank you George! This is just the type of advice I am looking for :) Thanks again!

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 2008 Range Rover (FFRR) that we have had for 32 months. There was a big difference between how the LR3 and the FFRR drove, but that difference has been significantly reduced with the LR4. Same comments for the interior. The LR4 also handles better. I have not offroaded an LR4, but the FFRR had a much better ride offroad and seemed to be more capable and poised on the same trails as the LR3.

We may be lucky, but our FFRR has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned - by far (Mercedes, Lexus, Subaru, Porsche etc.). We had one glitch with the stereo volume, which was resolved, but that is it. My mother-in-laws 2010 FFRR has had significant electrical problems that have disabled it numerous times. There are many who believe you should wait a couple of years after a model change to buy any Land Rover.

My advice to you would be to drive both significantly and think how each vehicle will support what you need it to do.

I

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 2008 Range Rover (FFRR) that we have had for 32 months. There was a big difference between how the LR3 and the FFRR drove, but that difference has been significantly reduced with the LR4. Same comments for the interior. The LR4 also handles better. I have not offroaded an LR4, but the FFRR had a much better ride offroad and seemed to be more capable and poised on the same trails as the LR3.

We may be lucky, but our FFRR has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned - by far (Mercedes, Lexus, Subaru, Porsche etc.). We had one glitch with the stereo volume, which was resolved, but that is it. My mother-in-laws 2010 FFRR has had significant electrical problems that have disabled it numerous times. There are many who believe you should wait a couple of years after a model change to buy any Land Rover.

My advice to you would be to drive both significantly and think how each vehicle will support what you need it to do.

I
This is awesome advice. I also love the RR and would buy one in a heartbeat if I wanted to drop 90K on a vehicle. I got my LR4 a few months ago and love it. I traded in a 2009 ML350. My last 3 vehicles have been Mercedes because I was not into the LR3 at all. I had a Discovery II several years ago, but just for a short while. I've been wanting to get back into a Land Rover for a few years. I will tell you that the LR4 sold me even over the RRS because of the significant changes to the motor, exterior look, and interior quality upgrades. I test drove a 2009 RR, 2011 RRS, and 2011 LR4 and was really impressed with how much the LR4 "felt" like the RR. The interior quality, luxury, and "feel" is miles ahead of the previous LR3.

I really believe that if you go for the LR4 HSE with Lux you will find it amazingly close to the RR family. You can get all the comfort, power, and in my humble opinion looks from a fully loaded LR4. Personally, I prefer a new vehicle. Don't get me wrong, the white RR is a beautiful truck, but the white LR4 is also very nice. A few forum members posted pictures of their LR4 and they are nice!

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but ultimately it's your decision and I can see why it's tough! The RR is your dream car! If you go for the RR just make sure you get a good extended warranty!!! That's vital!!!

I'll close with a statement my Land Rover salesman told me about the LR4 vs RR/RRS. He said that no RR folks would look seriously at the LR3 because of the less refined/luxury interior, but now a lot of RR are loving the LR4 and he said many new LR4 owners he is working with are previous RR owners who want the extra room of the LR4.

Definitely drive both the RR and 2011 LR4 and I believe you will really get a good idea about which to choose.

Best of luck and be sure to keep up posted!!!!

Regards, David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink