New to LR...considering purchasing LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pfergy

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to LR in general and I appreciate forums like this to get honest feedback. We are looking for a SUV with a third row mainly for transporting our young kids around. My wife has about a 10 mile round-trip daily commute. I found a used 2011 LR4 HSE Lux with 66k miles. I have a few questions for the forum:

1) Is there anything unique I should consider when looking at a LR?

2) A search on the 2011 LR4 brought back quite a few of 'spotty reliability' claims. Should I be concerned over the quality of a LR4? Should I expect more maintenance than a Tahoe, Pilot, Yukon, etc.?

3) Is premium gas a requirement? Not that I want to be the guy who can buy the car and not fill it up, but just thought I'd ask.

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Hopefully I can respond back soon with a pic of the car (in my driveway of course:)

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to LR in general and I appreciate forums like this to get honest feedback. We are looking for a SUV with a third row mainly for transporting our young kids around. My wife has about a 10 mile round-trip daily commute. I found a used 2011 LR4 HSE Lux with 66k miles. I have a few questions for the forum:

1) Is there anything unique I should consider when looking at a LR?Make sure you have good maintenance records.

2) A search on the 2011 LR4 brought back quite a few of 'spotty reliability' claims. Should I be concerned over the quality of a LR4? Should I expect more maintenance than a Tahoe, Pilot, Yukon, etc.?Quality seems to be hit or miss in any Land Rover. I personally have a brand new one and it has spent plenty of time at the dealership. As long as you have a competent dealership near by that has good service you should be fine. That or an indy shop as you will be out of warranty. I would go ahead and say that you will probably have more expense out of the LR than any of the other vehicles.

3) Is premium gas a requirement? Not that I want to be the guy who can buy the car and not fill it up, but just thought I'd ask.Premium Gas isn't required with any car but if that is what the manufacturer recommends I would us it to get the best performance and mileage.

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Hopefully I can respond back soon with a pic of the car (in my driveway of course:)

I don't know what your price point is or what options and things you are looking for but if possible (sounds like you are worried about maintenance) maybe you should look for a certified pre-owned model. I know my dealership has a 2011 with 30k miles and it is certified. I think they had $47k on the sticker.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you really need to carefully consider your requirements. I'm about to receive my new LR4 and after extensive research it was clear there was no other vehicle that had the same mix of capabilities that I needed. BUT, my needs are very different than yours and had I needs like yours and hearing the questions you are asking I would not have gone the LR route. In fact, I would probably have remained with the Acura MDX as it is a superior on-road vehicle with much better gas mileage, a more than adequate third row and a better overall reliability record.

The LR4 is an awesome vehicle if you plan to go off road (and I mean more than simply gravel roads) and if you plan to "operate" out of the back of the vehicle for just about any activity. But if you are simply looking for a 3-row people mover then you have a lot of options where your not spending money on extensive off road capabilities.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) LR make you feel like you're on a level above.
The LR4 is really luxurious, fantastic V8.
2) Look for a certified one or get an extended warranty of sorts. Mine loves to go back to the dealer for various issues. Yet, I still love it.
3) Using anything else than the recommended premium gas grade will decrease your mpg and that will not be offset by the lower price you'll pay for non premium gas (plus you lose power and your engine might ping).

It's a great comfortable choice, on road and off road. Just keep in mind that all LRs are expensive to buy and maintain.

chinochulo

Reaction score
We are looking for a SUV with a third row mainly for transporting our young kids around.

For this alone--I would get the LR4 over and above anything else. The best third-row seating and space bar none, and they fold flat. I have test-seated nearly all three-row SUVs. One of my requirements when I purchased my LR4 was adult-seating capability (comfort) in the third row. I believe only the MB GL-class comes close, but it also stickers for $20k more, plus it is a behemoth.

The off-road capabilities, for you, would be just icing on the cake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72