New to LR...Is this a good deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pherplexed

Reaction score
Ok, so i've been drooling over purchasing an LR3, and finally decided to do it. Been searching for weeks and think I may have found the one. Help me determine if this is a good deal:
•2007 HSE
•Gray with Black interior
•Luxury Package
•Satellite Radio package
Asking $45,500

I'm waiting to hear about mileage, but the dealer thinks it's between 5-6k. It was the dealership's loaner car, so it can't be "certified" as pre-owned, so no extra warranty.

Anybody have experience with buying a service loaner vehicle from a dealer? Does this sound like a good deal?

Thanks!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only catch with a service loaner is that the warranty date is from the date in service, not from the sales date. So even though you are first owner, and it's a fresh title, the warranty starts from the date the Dealer had the car.

That price seems fair, perhaps a bit on the high side, but not unreasonably so. Make sure all the active TSB's have been performed on it. Make sure the tires are aligned.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's high too, by about 4grand. Also, I'd rather find a certified one. I doubt that they can't certify it either. I'm actually surprised by the whole 'certification' thing. It's pretty much just a warranty thing, where they will certifiy for about 1800. My dealer offered to certify loaners with more than 6k miles.
btw, i found a 2006 SE with under 3k miles for 35000 uncertified.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW just over a year ago I paid 39k for my loaded '05 HSE w/ 17k miles . Wasn't a loaner, just a trade-in for a RRS... probably coulda gotten it for a little less if I had pushed it, but it seemed fair and the stealer treats me well re: service.

Depending on mileage and the market in your area I would think you should be able to get a couple more grand off...

pherplexed

Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback.

I got them to take another grand off the price and the mileage is actually half what they thought, so it's only got 3k miles instead of the 6k they told me originally. So I bought it and pick it up this Wednesday! I'm not gonna be able to think straight for the next 4 days I'm so excited!

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback.

I got them to take another grand off the price and the mileage is actually half what they thought, so it's only got 3k miles instead of the 6k they told me originally. So I bought it and pick it up this Wednesday! I'm not gonna be able to think straight for the next 4 days I'm so excited!
Awesome! Congrats on the purchase! I think you did pretty good. And price is all relative - I wouldn't give $10,000 for one of those Mercedes R-Class things, and yet some people pay $50K for them :stupid: If you did some looking around, feel like you got a good deal, and you're excited about the purchase, I wouldn't stress about it.

Congrats again - you are going to love it:driver:
Rich

myronl

Reaction score
Pricing for LR3

I'm in the same boat as you - the 2007 LR3s are great, but somewhat pricey. I think if you were to wait 6 months, you could probably get a 2007 for cheaper, but that's how all cars are - heavy depreciation. It sounds like your model has all the bells and whistles.

I've always wondered if a price was good or not, so I finally put together this website that tracks ACTUAL prices paid by people for cars - not what KBB or Edmunds says. Here is the link to some ACTUAL LR3 prices.

http://www.pricehub.com/price/Land+Rover/LR3

Good luck on your hunt! If you do purchase the car, please submit your price to the website - it will help others out there like me!

Thanks!

myronl

Reaction score
OK - quick question about service loaners, since I saw it mentioned above. Would any of you purchase a service loaner? There is the fact that people probably abuse the hell out of service loaner, but it is serviced by professionals... Any thoughts? The Pleasanton Land Rover dealer out here in CA was offering 2006 LR3 service loaners for $34,900. Decent price, but not sure if the cars were beat down or not... Thanks.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would, BUT:
1. Have brakes and rotors replaced
2. Have ECU reflashed, particularly the 'adaptive transmission'
3. Have all active TSB's resolved
4. Have the truck realigned (all 4 wheels)
5. Have all the fluids replaced, regardless of their age/mileage
6. Get new wipers put on (front and rear)
7. Have the air compressor serviced (new diaphrams, oiled gaskets, new piston, whatever a typical rebuild actually consists of.

Make sure you get the rear cargo cover, the floor mats, the Owners Manual, the trailer hitch, etc... all the removable bits should be in place.

GET THE EXTENDED WARRENTY

myronl

Reaction score
"GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY" - that sounds like you mean it. good advice. thanks.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd