Next on the list, transfer case seal leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rally1

Reaction score
I just picked up a silver 2006 LR3 SE with 100k miles and evidence off heavy offroad use. I caught most things on the inspection, but a couple new things are creeping up.

After lower control arms and various other front suspension repairs, I was under the car to identify which compressor I have, and I see a fair amount of grease/oil thrown around the place. It wasn't there a week ago.

First I want to confirm I have my under car anatomy correct, it's the transfer case im looking at right...

IMG_3322.jpg

You can see a ring of discarded fluid, and when I put my finger in there there is a fair amount or grease (i say grease because it's quite thick).

IMG_3324.jpg

So as a point of reference I rolled under the wifes LR3, and it looks much better. I have to dig through her repair records, as hers looks to have been repaired/replaced.

IMG_3329.jpg

I'll be taking it into the shop, the car has an extended warranty that expires in 2weeks, and so far it's failed to cover almost anything... But maybe my luck will change.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
The grease you are seeing is from the drive line joint not the transfer case. My 06 has been throwing that grease for about 5 years. all that will happen is that eventually you will have to replace the rear drive line. If it is not vibrating or making any extra noise I would not worry about it yet. Eventually you may start to feel a vibration with your hand on the sifter.

Last edited:

Rally1

Reaction score
Got it, ok that sounds better than any tcase work. Makes sense now that I look at how the mechanics of that connection is made in the thread above.
I'll clean the area around it, and keep an eye on it, I appreciate the info.

Trynian

Reaction score
If you are still under a warranty you could probably get the drive line replaced. mine was once and in about 24 months it started again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99