No fire to cylinders 1 and 8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjm010

Reaction score
I have a 95 Discovery V8i 3.9

Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor have been replaced and there is still no fire to cylinders 1 and 8. I double checked firing order to make sure wires were in the correct place on the cap. I even replaced the wires on 1 and 8 in case they were defective. Still nothing. There is only one coil. Could it be the ECM? I'm lost.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haver you considered the possibility of a fuel feed issue into those cylinders? Are you getting MIL codes?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you know it is not firing on those 2 cylinders?

mjm010

Reaction score
How do you know it is not firing on those 2 cylinders?

I used a timing gun on each of the plug wires. all cylinders activate the timing light except cylinders 1 and 8. Raw fuel is blowing out of the tail pipe and engine idles and runs rough. The cap, rotor and wires have been changed and I changed out these two plug wires in case they were defective. I also changed the cap and rotor again. Since cylinders 1 and 8 are the first two in firing sequence and side by side on the distributor cap I think there could be a problem with the pickup or distributor itself. Also, Do you know anything about custom HEI Chevrolet V8 distributor upgrades for Land Rovers. I found a manufacturer that custom machines and manufactures HEI distributors for a number of vehicles.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok - sorry that I missed the fact that yours is a 95 pre-OBDII and, yes, there are a couple of companies out there that are making custom spark gear for earlier LR discos. One of them (I bought my headers from them) is called TODDCOhttp://toddcosuspensions.com/index.html, and he even makes a performance ignition module and coil for $99.95.

wolf

I used a timing gun on each of the plug wires. all cylinders activate the timing light except cylinders 1 and 8. Raw fuel is blowing out of the tail pipe and engine idles and runs rough. The cap, rotor and wires have been changed and I changed out these two plug wires in case they were defective. I also changed the cap and rotor again. Since cylinders 1 and 8 are the first two in firing sequence and side by side on the distributor cap I think there could be a problem with the pickup or distributor itself. Also, Do you know anything about custom HEI Chevrolet V8 distributor upgrades for Land Rovers. I found a manufacturer that custom machines and manufactures HEI distributors for a number of vehicles.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of distributor cap did you buy?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
both should be good, but makes me wonder, since the only thing that will cause the spark not to make it to those cylinders is the cap, or the distributor is loose, but just missing those 2 would be hard.

T Disco

Reaction score
You may want to also check the plugs. Have had a few bad ones where the inner core wire was either damaged or missing causing no spark at all. You can't tell visually, just with a voltmeter. Hth.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink