No spark???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

joeb1

Hello all-

I have just installed a new engine in my 96 Discovery. I was excited and nervous about the inital start up. But it seems I do not have to worry about that now. I have the factory workshop manual. But as far as electrical trouble shooting goes... it has none. So I have a few questions/statements. If any one sees any errrors in my reasoning. Let me know. If you can think of any thing I have missed. Or, If you have the electronic manual, and see anything, or have any testing values I need to look for. Please let me know.

It seems there are a multitude of sensors/issues that can keep it from starting.

1. Crankshaft Position Sensor- Assume mine is good because it is new. And I even double checked to make sure the spacer was on there. Can any test be done to verify that it has voltage, what would the specs be?

2. Idle Air Valve "stepper motor" - Pulled the sensor, turned ignition, sensor did move.

3. Coil pack- Will not keep it from starting. Will just make it run like crap. I do have one pin on the multi-plug that has 12v. I assume this is correct. But have no way of checking. I did pull the spark plug from cyl. 1. And had my son turn it over. No spark at all. Tried a paper clip on the manifold also. But no spark.

4. Main relay- Black box next to ECM. Correct me if I am wrong. Controls spark and fuel. Could keep it from starting if bad. What checks if any? Can be done on this unit to verify it is working?

5. As far as fuel goes. I know I have pressure, but the correct amount has not been tested. Are there any fuel related issues that could cause this?

Thanks for any advise you guys can give!

Joe

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whew! thats lots of ifs.....What motor? ,same year?, so many issues possible.....make sure all of your sensors are clean, dry and that it isn't necessary to run some sort of test at the LR shop to get it going?....You will get help here, but it's like asking someone to bring your new rebuilt computer back to life...is there a Doctor in the house! welcome!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM