Octane Booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

tkcomp

Anyone try putting octane booster in their Rover. In Phoenix about the best octane rating I can get is 91. I was looking at the manual and it says I could void the warrantee if any fuel additives are used. Since I live in the city, I don't get much of a chance to blow the carbon out of the disco and today I was on the freeway and when I went to pass she bogged down for about 1 second. I am almost tempted to through about 10 gallons of racing fuel in her to stir things up. Before I get to crazy I was thinking about octane booster. Does that stuff even work?

Tom

D

discomike

Tom,
Don't do something you'll regret. Racing fuel is not the answer nor is octane booster. Go to you dealers parts store and ask them for a bottle of B&G's 44K, put it in the tank and head out the old Black canyon high way for a day of fun, push it for all she's worth and you will clean out the engine and pull up the economy by about 1 MPG.
By the way most of us are stuck with 91 octane and such is life.
Mike J.

T

tkcomp

Mike,

Thanks I will give that a try. I think a lot of the carbon is my fault. I have not really got on the disco since I have owned it. I need to open her up and let it run.

Thanks
Tom

D

discomike

Yes, even if it is in first gear, put your foot in her once in awhile and let her cough her way out of it.
Mike J.

D

disco1

What's the problem with getting higher octane fuel in the states? In Australia, nearly all service stations sell 98 octane. just wondering!

T

tkcomp

Disco1

Not sure why we only get 91 or so. I think racing fule is about 102 octane, but I am going to stick to Mike's suggestion. I took the Rover out for a good drive and made sure I gave the Tach a good workout as well.

Do you run 98 Octane in your rovers?

Tom

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Hi, I was reading this tread and I foud it very intresting.
I do have some coments that I heard once from a Honda engineer. He told me that most engines are desingned for an specific octane level. And that by adding more octanes you will not see much imrpovement.
I wonder if that is really true.

For my disco and my normal cars I use 91 octane fule(Premium) on My M3 I use super unleaded fule wich Dimond shamrock sales as a 95 octane fule. Intrestingly enough I get more power from the M when I combine half super unleaded fule with half premium fule.

T

tkcomp

Interesting.

I might have to take a cruze by my local diamond shamrock this week.

Tom

D

discomike

Just remember your valves and valve stem seals won't take the hot juice, it is not worth it just to clean up the carbon.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112