Octane Booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

tkcomp

Mike,

I sure am glad you are here. I tend to get a little extreme sometimes!! (Most of the time) My thought process has always been, hey if 91 is good 98 has to better. I sure don't want to mess up the engine!

Thanks
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
D

discomike

Hey, when I was a kid in college, 1967, aran 120 octane in my 65 Impalla 396, ran like a rase horse and took out the valves, i learned the hard way.
mike J.

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Correction guys on my info from the fule suplyed by dimon shemrock
I think instead of the super unleaded being 95 octanes it is 92. I will confirm that tomorrow as soon as I put fuel in my car.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
98 octane in Australia is not the same as North American. Look at the formula they use to figure out the octane level.

In Canada I use Sunoco 94 that has ethanol added. Truck runs great with no issues ... also the ethanol is a gas line antifreeze!

P

pfb

Octane is often misunderstood...

Higher octane means the fuel burns more slowly and that it provides resistance to compression/heat detonation (pinging, knocking) so that engines can run at higher compression ratio's, at higher temperatures, and with more advance.

Putting high octane fuel in an engine that is not pinging (and does not have a knock sensor that is retarding the advance to prevent knocking) will do NOTHING!

A common tuner technique, though, is to advance the timing on the engine to where it would knock with regular fuel, but supress the knocking with premium fuel. Only works with engines that have easily adjustable advance, like the 3.9 V8i.

You can find lots more info about this on the web, but here's one that a quick google search turned up:

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/webtemp3.cfm?dept=3&id=2049

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
Great post pfb.
I will try that tomorrow when I pump fuel into my car.
I will post any new findings.
Best Regards
JR

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112