Octane

I need to have 93 octane. If I put a bottle of booster in 92 with I get 93

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who says you "need to have" 93 octane? Use premium unleaded, or the available grade at your local gas station with the highest octane rating, whatever that means in your area. Here in Southern California, unless you look real hard at some specialized station selling racing fuel, you can't do better than 91 (R+M)/2 octane for premium unleaded. The LR4 runs great.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran 91 when there wasn't 93, but 93 and even 97 are available near me. $2.66/gal for 93 currently. Has been worse.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual for my 2016 LR4 says not to use fuel with an AKA (I assume this is equivalent to octane rating) rating lower than 87. I've been running "regular" with no knocking or perceptible difference from the higher grades that I used to use.

Will 87 cause problems?

Frank

Last edited:

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mention altitude because here in Colorado octane is 85, 87 and 91. Lower air density reduces the need for octane ratings that reduce knock.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual for my 2016 LR4 says not to use fuel with an AKA (I assume this is equivalent to octane rating) rating lower than 87. I've been running "regular" with no knocking or perceptible difference from the higher grades that I used to use.

Will 87 cause problems?

On engines like the LR4's that recommend, but do not require, premium unleaded fuel, the use of regular grade unleaded normally only results in marginal loss of engine efficiency, meaning you will likely experience lower mileage per gallon and a slight reduction of power at the top. Although this modern engine will adjust to the lower detonations and will run fine (little or no knocking), it won't do so as efficiently. To save a couple of dimes a gallon, it's not worth it in my opinion. Use premium unless it's not available, then mid-grade or regular are fine.

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to MA dealer, they run all their vehicles on regular (87 in MA) I promptly refilled with 93. However I spent one year in NM (high altitude) and premium was 91 and the truck did just fine with this. Now in NY I'm back to 93.
I wouldn't worry too much about the octane rating. Just get the highest available and keep in my ne that buying regular though being cheaper increase fuel consumption so in the end it will cost you the same. Also higher octane will keep some of your engine cleaner (here comes the debate about direct fuel injection).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM