Octane

I need to have 93 octane. If I put a bottle of booster in 92 with I get 93

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On engines like the LR4's that recommend, but do not require, premium unleaded fuel, the use of regular grade unleaded normally only results in marginal loss of engine efficiency, meaning you will likely experience lower mileage per gallon and a slight reduction of power at the top. Although this modern engine will adjust to the lower detonations and will run fine (little or no knocking), it won't do so as efficiently. To save a couple of dimes a gallon, it's not worth it in my opinion. Use premium unless it's not available, then mid-grade or regular are fine.

What he said^

I happen to fill up with Shell V-Power 93 here in MA, but 91 or better is ideal. Do try to stick with reputable brands. I read somewhere (here?) that some gasolines don't meet certain quality standards.

There is an Irving station near work that is big, new, convenient, and has great prices but their gasoline is not listed as meeting standards, so I don't go there. I want to keep the LR4 "forever" so I care about the fuel.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here most stations have 3 grades: 87, 89, and 92 or 93 and the price differential between 87 and 93 varies between $.40 and $0.60 more per gallon, so it does add up with a vehicle that gets 13-15mpg (my LR3). I run 93 but recently found a Sunoco station that has 4 grades including 91 and have used that the last few tanks with no change in performance or mileage that I can detect as of yet. You can see how much the pricing varies for a little bit of octane, 87, 89, 91, and 93 are the grades in the photo below.

It is interesting to see how fuel options and pricing varies so much across the country. 93 is currently about $3.1999 a gallon around here. There is one indy station not too far away that only sells straight gas (no ethanol), but I am rarely in that area and have not had a change to use it. That's a whole other topic of course....

upload_2017-4-21_10-27-19.jpeg

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the original poster did not say anything about why or for what.... dude, try forming an actual question .

As far as I'm concerned, you're not even asking about a car, you want 93 for your motorcycle and just thought you'd put a random poll here LOL

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, more worthwhile is finding a high octane ethanol free fuel source. When i use 92 pure gas I get 8-10% better fuel economy in my vehicles!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635