odd noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjaskuls

Reaction score
ok, when I'm driving I get this noise. now I should point out that it is intermintant I can go a few days without hearing it at all but other times it may be constant for the duration of a commute.
the noise reminds me of a wheel bearing noise but had the vehicle inspected at the dealership and they said all brakes, bearings and suspension components were fine.
the noise does dissappear when I touch the brakes and fades in and out as I turn the steering wheel. So I feel its definatly a drivetrain issue somewhere.
any ideas might be helpful for me to take to the dealership beacause apparently I need to diagnose the car issues for them.
thanks everyone for your feedback.
2005 LR3 SE with 84000km/52000miles

cjaskuls

Reaction score
As is turns out I went to the dealership and they have been pretty good about it and gave me a loaner (no Charge) and I drove it for a week and at the end they are telling me that there is a groove in one of the brake rotors that is causing this noise. Since this happened when I bought it they are content to split the cost of the brake system replacement (quote of $1600) not sure what portion would be up to me at this point.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does a groove in a rotor require a complete brake system replacement? Almost sounds like they doubled the price and then offered to split it with you...

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they will do it - Have them provide you the parts and either do-it-yourself or find a local brake shop (much cheaper).

cjaskuls

Reaction score
I hear you.
I did call around and the other dealerships and the price is pretty consistant.
as for the total brake overhaul the explanation I got was that since the pads were less than 50% and such it wouldn't be worth wild to just replace the rotors at this point and be back in a year changing the rest of it.
still could be a scam.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still IS a scam. Buy a complete set of pads and rotors for $329-$650 from atlantic british (depending on how good you want to get) and either put them on or have any halfway decent mechanic do it for, maybe $100?
Still not quite sure how a groove causes a grinding noise or how it changes when you turn the wheel, but if the fix actually is new brakes then you can save up to a grand.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9