OEM Driving Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. The kit I bought from ebay didn't have the template for the dash cut out included. Does anyone have access to another that I could print off?

2. What happens if I don't allow the dealer to program the lights? Will they still work?

Thanks in advance!

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed most of the wiring myself for mine and found yes the dealer had to enable the switch to actually work. I don't have my old template, but if I take the cover off and look where the button is, it looks like someone took a kitchen knife to create the hole. If you need the directions I found those online. I'll post those links should you need them.

http://angas.net/world/forums/LR/Installation.pdf (Wiring Directions)
http://angas.net/world/forums/LR/Mounting.pdf (Mounting Directions)

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the template, and can make a copy for you. Please pm with address info on where to send it.

Let me know if you have any questions on the install. The instructions were mostly accurate - interior wiring was the most challenging part.

John

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'd like to use these as fog lights but understand that if the dealer activates them through the factory harness they will only work with the headlights on. Is there a way to get them to work without the headlights on?

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'd like to use these as fog lights but understand that if the dealer activates them through the factory harness they will only work with the headlights on. Is there a way to get them to work without the headlights on?

Regarding the wiring, yes you can do just about anything (have them operate independently, have them turn on with the fog lights, etc). However a few things to consider:

1) Fog lights have a different beam pattern, the OEM driving lights would not really work well for this

2) The position of fog lights should be low to the ground. The OEM lights mount too high for this purpose

3) Laws in many states prohibit independent functioning aux lights and limit the number of concurrently illuminated lights up front, you may have issues with your state inspection

4) The OEM wiring harness is really only good for the purpose it was designed to perform. If you want to have an independent switch or have them activate with the fog switch, you will need to source a separate wiring hardess and DIY the wiring.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent points!

I'm currently stationed in Arkansas and the only rules are don't marry your sis...wait no here it is. Always brush your tooth. Just kidding all you razorbacks out there.

Seriously, I just want to have them operate independently. The dealer wants $150 just to "turn them on", but I'd like them to operate with other than just the high beams.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a used A frame w/ the OEM driving lights already mounted on it. i installed the A frame a while back, but i still haven't wired the lights up due to lack of motivation. i didn't know that the dealer would have to activate them. that makes me even less inclined to wire them, especially since i hear they don't produce much light. i would like to eventually add some of the FF 50 Driving Lamps to my slimmed down expedition rack.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2342-hella-ff-50-driving-lamp-kit.aspx

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update,

So, I finished the install.

I was able to wire the lights to work independently but working straight from the battery thru the supplied 30A relay and 15A fuses. I used most of the supplied wire loom with the exception of the relay holder that had the purple/grey and brown wires leading to it. I cut that off as well as the leads from the light switch to the headlight controller. What I did here was simply cut the connection and ran power through the switch, grounded it and through some trial and error got the supplied switch to work. I couldn't find the right combination to get the amber light to come on when the switch was depressed, but I did get the green back-light to work.

All-in-all I'm happy with the set up. If I were smarter I could have figured out a way to bypass the dealer turned on options and get the functionality the same as what I have. It was a pretty clean install. I ran the wires into the cabin through the power steering grommet. I really didn't want to drill a new hole through the firewall and there really wasn't any room to do so.

Thank to all who helped!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo