OEM Driving lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

juanha99

Hi, I wanted to know if someoane can help me.
I have the OEM driving lights in my LR3, dealer installed, but the only way I can use them is with the high beams on, I want to use them as fog lamps.
Can somebody tell me how to connect them for fog lamp use?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, auxiliary lights like that will blind you while driving in the fog. Sorry, that's how it is configured...

You'll need to bypass the OEM wiring by yourself. Also, check your local laws...

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Houm_WA

juanha, what are you referring to as "OEM driving lights?" Do you mean the ones that Land Rover sells in the catalog as dealer-installed off-road lights? ...like the ones that are in all the magazines and/or LR3 brochures?

If so, are these OEM? ...seems to me that anything not installed at the factory is aftermarket. ...but anyhow, let's not split hairs.

I have the same set-up where they can only be used with the high-beams; and interestingly enough if you're using your OEM-fog lights (the ones integral with the bumper) they will turn off when the high-beams are on.

So, grommet is partially correct about the fog lights and using them in fog. They are very bright and could blind you if not aimed appropriately. ...but they are movable, as you know. So if aimed correctly, they may not be so bad. ...however, I personally think that the OEM foglights would work better in fog than the aftermarket offroad lights.

J

juanha99

Sorry for the OEM driving lights transalation, I´m from Mexico and I thought it was the correct way to say it.
So what you are saying is that we can only use the driving lights with high beams?
We cannot use them with low beams?

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could rewire them...

The factory configuration only allows the off-road lights to be used with the high beams. They are not a good fog lamp, the dispersion is VERY wide, and will not help in the fog, just makes things worse. I've tried it.

However, if you had to have the AUX lamps on with low beam, I suppose that a guy could pop the fog lights in the bumper out and run a jumper up to the offroad lights. My only concern might be all of the draw that both sets of lamps draw. Maybe if you left the fog lamps disconnected? I think you see where I am going with this.

H

Houm_WA

I think the most relevant thing you said, dave, was that they are not a good fog lamp. ....so why bother re-wiring them?

Juan, do you have the factory foglights? They work just fine, AND you can use them with NO headlights, which is even more effective.

J

juanha99

Hi, no mi LR3 does not come with factory fog lamps, thas why I was looking to use the driving lights as fog lamps.
But thanks for your advise.
I think I will use them as driving lights, what they were intended for.

M

Michael

Houm_WA said:
If so, are these OEM? ...seems to me that anything not installed at the factory is aftermarket. ...but anyhow, let's not split hairs.

Actually, having worked for an OEM, Juan has it right. "Aftermarket" refers to third party manufacturers manufacturing and marketing their own products. OEM is anything sold by the manufacturer of the vehicle, even if is produced by another company (which most components, even ones installed at the factory.

By the way, is there some factory installed wiring for those lights, or do holes have to be drilled through the firewall to connect the switch?

Michael

H

Houm_WA

Michael, you're probably right, but it's sort of confusing or at least ambiguous. OEM is "Original Equipment Manufacturer" and there is nothing original about the offroad lights. ...except that they were made by the manufacturer of the original equipment, or at least have their brand on it.

So, what it really comes down to is whether or not the work "original" is an adjective describing the equipment or the manufacturer.

Like I said, I didn't want to split hairs....the further discussion clarified what Juan was referring to and that's all I wanted to know.

J

juanha99

Hi Michael, Well yes all the wiring is done, that´s why I can only use them with the high beams, they are connected to the computer of the truck.
I read it was regulated by European laws or something like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9