Off-Roading Pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few more photos.....

A view from the back:

f9e60d8d.jpg

Heading down the trail:

93c0810a.jpg

Having some fun:

38740357.jpg

Heading up the hill:

8e418bea.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last Photos...

Following the white Discovery:

photo.jpg

My turn:

photo2.jpg

I saw a beautiful diamond back rattle snake on the trails:

0da241c5.jpg

photo3.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, that looks awesome. Did you go wading?
Hey CaptainSpalding,

Thanks! It was a beautiful day out at Hollister Hills and seeing that rattle snake was definitely a highlight. There were not many rovers out at our group's monthly gathering, but we still had a great time. I did only a little wading, maybe up to about 1/2 my tire. Hehe :)

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, after seeing the px of Hollister Hills, and the resurgence of the 49ers (and the still lingering, but fading quickly, glow from a world series win), I am officially missing norcal. I just pulled out my old Lazy Buggers badge (mendo recce..aka norcal rover club)....

What are the front recovery options for an LR4? Any easy mods? I was happy to see pictures of a D shackle on the stock bumber...glad to see I don't need to use that optional tow hitch receiver (is it as bad as it looks?)

Nice options David. How much noise does the rack make?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, after seeing the px of Hollister Hills, and the resurgence of the 49ers (and the still lingering, but fading quickly, glow from a world series win), I am officially missing norcal. I just pulled out my old Lazy Buggers badge (mendo recce..aka norcal rover club)....

What are the front recovery options for an LR4? Any easy mods? I was happy to see pictures of a D shackle on the stock bumber...glad to see I don't need to use that optional tow hitch receiver (is it as bad as it looks?)

Nice options David. How much noise does the rack make?
Hey bromhead,

I am originally from Boston, MA and moved to the SF Bay area about 5.5 years ago. I have traveled extensively in CA and I definitely prefer NorCal over SoCal. Definitely!

The stock recovery option is a ring in the middle - pretty good sized. I have the front skid plate, but it has a hole for access to the recovery ring. If you wanted additional recovery points, you would need to do some more elaborate modifcations. I am not sure if there is currently anything on the market?

I do not have the optional tow hitch receiver, as at this point, I do not tow anything. If you take the back cover off (very easy), you have access to the rear recovery point and that is where I stick a D shackle when I go off-roading. The recovery ring is quite big, similar to the front.

I have the Voyager half-rack and it's pretty darn quiet. I do notice a little bit of noise when it's really windy and I am going about 75-80mph on the highway, but nothing major. I did go with the optional wind faring that Voyager offers and it does a great job. My only complaint is that they bolt that sucker in to withstand hurricane force winds, so the bolts look a bit overkill from the back. When I get some time I am going to saw off the ends and put some black caps, though it's not a big deal.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input David. San Diego is not bad, very different from LA, but I do miss the Bay Area. If I could find a good used LR4 with a locker, I would probably go that route as I know I will want to exchange whatever I buy for a diesel when (IF) it comes. Your LTZ pictures are awesome...I might go stupid and immediately replace the conti when i get my trucks...although if Jeep delays things any longer (my lemon law buyback), I might end up having to pre order a 2013 which will push things back considerably...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input David. San Diego is not bad, very different from LA, but I do miss the Bay Area. If I could find a good used LR4 with a locker, I would probably go that route as I know I will want to exchange whatever I buy for a diesel when (IF) it comes. Your LTZ pictures are awesome...I might go stupid and immediately replace the conti when i get my trucks...although if Jeep delays things any longer (my lemon law buyback), I might end up having to pre order a 2013 which will push things back considerably...
Hey bromhead,

I think if I had to live in SoCal, it would be San Diego. I do like it down there and it's close to a few beautiful places. Have you looked around for a 2011 with the locker? I know there are a few 2011s out there for sale, so you may have luck with a previously owned - definitely get a better deal sometimes. Though, since you want the locker, it may be tough.

Let me know if you do want to get the LTZs, I'll give you more information on the best place to order.

I hope Jeep hurries up!

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635