Official 2014 Changes to LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this is as official as it gets.

TUE 03 SEPTEMBER 2013

- Exterior refresh with distinctive new face and new ‘Discovery’ badging
- New highly efficient 250kW 3.0 V6 S/C petrol engine replaces 5.0 V8
- Eight-speed ZF automatic transmission for all models
- Upgraded models available to order now with deliveries from March 2014

Damn, that's late. Forget about the changes, there is no way I could have waited that long. For many reasons I am glad I ordered when I did.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Count,

I personally don't care for the updated front - a bit too soft. It could be worse though, but I am just beyond happy I went with a 2013. Like you said, I think the 2014 will grow on us, but I am just not a fan of bling. I am very anxious to see what actually happens in the US and a picture of the interior changes.

You should bring your new 2013 to Hollister on Saturday with us! :)

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David,

I'd love to join you guys this weekend but I have family coming in for a quick visit. But thank you kindly for the invite.

I'm not in love with a lot of LR's new direction. But I'll hold my opinions to myself because if I truly expressed how I feel I'd probably be banned from the site.

The only new LR product that I like is the new FFRR. That is a vehicle I'd consider for my next purchase. But outside of that, I'm not buying into their new products and considering what LR did to the new RRS, I have no hope whatsoever for the LR5 or new Defender.

I think these changes will prove two things, the new strategy is hugely successful, or a huge learning lesson for LR.

Hey, did you ever get your car cover?

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, that's late. Forget about the changes, there is no way I could have waited that long. For many reasons I am glad I ordered when I did.
Me too. In retrospect, I couldn't have waited. My current car's lease runs out in January and I'm not buying it. So had I planned to wait for the 2014, I would have either

a) been without a car for 2-4 months (ummm, not even remotely possible if I want to keep my job, lol)

b) had to settle for a 2013 off the lot that may not have had every feature I wanted

c) bought something else

So instead, I get the 2013 in October and overlap my current car's lease by a couple of months. No big deal, plus I get all the features I want. Close call. Glad I pulled the trigger.

As for the design, yeah, I don't love it, but I bet it grows on us. It's still an awesome vehicle.

joyce

Reaction score
i'm waiting for my 2013 ordered mid july as well- my only reservation is that i wonder if i will miss out on a nav and camera systems upgrade.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm waiting for my 2013 ordered mid july as well- my only reservation is that i wonder if i will miss out on a nav and camera systems upgrade.

If they were changing it would have been announced.

Let's call it what it is. A minor facelift with an engine change to buy themselves the 2+ years until the all-new gen is released.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we already know by the photos on the press release that the surround cameras are definitely going to be more useful, with the two front ones pushed out to the corner of the bumper and renamed "T-junction cameras". As mentioned in another thread, the present position of the two front cameras on MY2013 and earlier renders them pretty useless to spot anything other than what's in front of the car (and you don't need cameras for that... You can just look through the windshield, lol.) I have wondered if I could go to a shop and ask them to move the front ones on my car to the same position where the 2014s are going to be mounted, it can't be that hard as it's only a few inches.

A Nav update is doubtful - other than more up-to-date maps and POI database - although new tech introduced abroad, such as Blind Spot Monitoring and Reverse Traffic Detection, may make it to the US market on the 2014s since it's being used by most other premium auto makers already... More esoteric stuff, such as the Wade Sensing "sonars", wasn't included on the recently released NAS version of the 2014 RRS, so we most likely won't see it on the LR4 in North America, either.

Last edited:

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this is as official as it gets.

TUE 03 SEPTEMBER 2013

- Exterior refresh with distinctive new face and new ‘Discovery’ badging
- New highly efficient 250kW 3.0 V6 S/C petrol engine replaces 5.0 V8
- Eight-speed ZF automatic transmission for all models
- Upgraded models available to order now with deliveries from March 2014
This is referring to European models, since it's referring to Discovery badging, not LR4. North America always has different engine choices.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He made a spectacle of himself. Spectacle - British - Discovery. Get it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM