Oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I leased my LR3, they said that oil changes were necessary only every 7500 miles and that they were included. Just got off the phone and they said that they recommend oil changes every 3000-4000 miles, but the factory only pays for them every 7500. Not good news, as I was waiting 7500 to go in. Which is correct? Thanks

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7500 per the manual...should be fine if you use a good oil and drive in "normal" conditions. The LR3 has high capacity, and oils are a lot better than those your dad used.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roverman: I was told the same as you by my dealer. I went ahead and paid for the 3000 mi. (more like 3200 actually) change myself, as I'm a confirmed 3000 mile guy ( I think its the single most important thing you can do to increase engine life and I usually keep my vehicles 9-10 years). It's not cheap, if done by a Rover dealer. But given all the skid plate removal stuff, I had the dealer do it.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skid plate removal stuff?? Oh crap, I haven't even looked under my truck yet. I'm a cheapskate do it yourselfer...what a p.i.t.a.
Well, it doesn't say anything in my manual at all about it. But the oil is amazingly clean and full at 11,500 miles (hasn't been changed since before 6000).
And it is a lease ;) However, if I continue to like it this much, I'll plan on buying it, so I'd only be screwing myself ;(

I think the dealers are bummed at the increased interval and just trying to scam a few bucks where they can.
Thanks for your input.

an aside: I couldn't believe how clean the engine compartment is after a sloppy salty winter. Far cry from what the older rover engines looked like! Almost BMW-esque.

Roverman

Last edited by a moderator:

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roverman said:
Well, it doesn't say anything in my manual at all about it. But the oil is amazingly clean and full at 11,500 miles (hasn't been changed since before 6000).

Roverman

Page 26 of the Passport to Service...oil service should be performed every 6 months/7500 miles.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, THAT manual. Yes, thank you sir. No oil change yet for this guy then.

X

xcursion

Modern engines runs much cleaner and require less maintainence. They can go longer without an oil change. The mfg's data should be correct. Dealer wants you to do it every 3k miles for the extra $. I do it cuz of old habits from old times (3k miles or 3 mth). Costly and overkill but I feel comfortable knowing my oil is always clean.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
madtownrover said:
7500 per the manual...should be fine if you use a good oil and drive in "normal" conditions. The LR3 has high capacity, and oils are a lot better than those your dad used.

what do you consider a "good" oil. except for a clear no-name brand, they all look the same to me on the shelf, with the exception of the higher priced synthetic oils.

also, what do you mean by "high capacity."

wasn't sure how many quarts of oil is in this thing for when i go to change it myself some day. (i know, that is in the manual somewhere) thanks!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xcursion said:
My dealer charged me 9 quarts of synthethic 5W/50!!!

okay, i have to know.
how much was your dealer oil change?

(now if its synthetic, than you CAN go 7500+ miles. maybe it was a synthetic blend...)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635