oil leak ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have an 06 LR3 V8 HSE. Took it in today to get the oil changed, local shop I use on both of our vehicles, they service all types foreign and domestic, fully trust their skills.

Land Rover is out of warranty. Always used synthetic oil

Shop removed skid plate and back side was covered in oil, they said it appears to be dripping around the pan. They seemed to think I would need to change the lower pan (where leak was) and the seal. Is it possible to just drop the pan and replace the seal as you would do with most other vehicles? or do I need to purchase a new pan and seal?

Any one else incur an oil leak? What would you guys suggest I do.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking with a service guy at the local dealership a while back and he mentioned that one of the problems they see with people changing their own oil is that they don't change the o-ring at the base of the bolt that screws into the pan. I guess they have seen leaks occur from that. So it might be worth just trying to replace that o-ring. You can get one from LR. Just an idea and probably the best-case scenario!

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your oil level dropping on the dip stick? I doubt you have an oil pan gasket/seal leak. It's likely that the washer under the sump drain has been re-used too many times. Think about it, take just two tablespoons of oil mix with road dust on the top of the skid plate and it will make a pretty unsightly mess. On other vehicles, that little drop of oil ends up painting the black line down the middle of the road on an LR3 it goes on the skid plate.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, definately going to purchase a new O ring when I change the oil next go round. I used to change the oil myself in all my vehicles, but having to crawl underneath the LR3 and removing the plates and all just is a little too tight for me, now we have a 2 year old and time is more of a luxury lately. I appreciate your experience and advice, wasnt too happy think about replacing the pan and such with only 49K miles.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to take the skid plate off tonight, lr3 is starting to leave oil residue in the driveway. Gotta see what the problem is. Hopefully the plug, checked oil yesterday ( a couple weeks after the oil change ) with oil levels cold, read in the middle of the crosshairs in normal range, but has since continued to leave spots on pavement.

If it turns out to be the gasket around the lower oil pan, can i just drain the oil, remove the pan, clean it up and remove old gasket and reattach with a new gasket, or do I need to purchase an all new pan and gasket (this is what the shop told me, I am calling bs). Any suggestions where to buy the parts?

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought from when I used to run my family's autolube shops in CA - oil from changing the filter and/or draining from the engine that splashed onto cross-members and the skid plates. Is it possible that whoever worked on it last didn't clean up properly? I would definitely say the O-ring is your first bet.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought from when I used to run my family's autolube shops in CA - oil from changing the filter and/or draining from the engine that splashed onto cross-members and the skid plates. Is it possible that whoever worked on it last didn't clean up properly? I would definitely say the O-ring is your first bet.

to give an update, crawled under last night and removed skid plate. Wow there was alot of new oil on it, actually pooled in the squares on the inside of the plate. Examined everything underneath and sure enough all you guys were correct!! Just the plug and gasket. It definately needs to be changed, it has cracks in it that are visible. This just ****** me off even more, this shop I used to trust was trying to scam me for like $600 telling me the gasket around the pan was bad and that it all needed to be changed, total bs. Everything under the vehicle is spotless except for around the plug area where it is clearly dripping. The fucccccs didnt even screw the plug in tight enough, that solved half the problem. Stopped by dealership this morning and picked up two new plugs and gaskets, only 4 bucks each, cheaper than ordering off the internet. Anything else I should be checking underneath while I am their without the skid plate? Any maintenance that needs to be performed around the 50k mark?

Anyone have a Land Rover (non dealership) shop in HOuston, tx they can recommend? I

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's crazy! They must not have even looked at the issue and just assumed it was the pan gasket and not related to the plug.

Find a new place to work on it from now on.

Rob

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that's irritating! So much of that goes on out there. That's why I do the oil and other basics myself. I realize that not everyone has the time or inclination to do so but when I'm done with the job I KNOW it's right (and for half the price).

I am really glad tha't all it was for you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635