Oil Pressure Gauge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 96 SD there is no Oil Pressure gauge. I don't know if one was availlable as a factory option or not, but I'd like to install one. Oil Pressure to me is the most important thing to know about your engine. Has anyone installed one? Any thoughts on how to go about plumbing one in?

Thanks

-Jim

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the only problem installing is with the metric ends needed for the addition. If you get a quality guage, and find a location for it, then decide if you want a direct- oil-pressure line, or an electric guage. Install it yourself if you have the know-how, or take it to a "foreign mechanic" and make your request. I agree that oil pressure is the most important guage to have, but these rigs didn't come with on, and I never figured out why! I am installing an electric guage this month, and I can't wait to see what kind of pressure I have.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here ya go....and this is the email I got from Carl explaining his cold air intake, pre-oiler and pressure gauge. I'm sure he'd answer questions about the installation:

Carl said:
Callen, sorry for the delay, here are some pictures i hope they help. On the sandwich adapter remove the bypass valve and drill out to 25/64", the other 11 holes are 15/64" equal spaced. Chamfer all holes for oil flow. The 12 holes have an area of .585 square inch, the extension is .220 square inch. This shows the adapter flows 2.65 times more than the filter extension hence no restriction. Make sure the extension nut is tight as it will back out every time you unscrew the old oil filter, i retorque app. 20 ft/lbs. On another picture it shows a "T" with a pressure switch (oil pressure switch for fuel pump cut off on injected motors) and the pressure sending unit (big can) for a pressure gauge. The fittings are anodized and prevented the sender and switch from going to ground, add a ground wire to both then to frame. Next picture the cold ram air is two 3" diameter 45 degree rubber tubes from a late 80's Mustang 4 cylinder intake system, add a 3" X 1" long exhaust pipe with straps and make a offset. Remove the snorkel and save, install offset and your good to go. Look at the lower part of the picture you'll see orange light, it's from a light placed in the filter box so you can see the intake behind the left headlight. Another picture shows the cold air into the air box and the pre-oiler i installed, just fits with less than 1/8" clearance but it works. This is a 3 qt. total system with 1 1/2 qt. oil and 1 1/2 qt. air chamber. Thru a electronic timer i get 4 seconds of oil at 20 psi before starting engine. This allows for hot, cold, thin, thick oil, restart in one minute or one year and the engine is started wet. Rovers have a bad dry start, thats why i have a new 4.6 engine. The pressure gauge picture shows the gauge way forward because the body **** under the gauge. It's a VDO gauge 1 1/2" diameter i like the 0-80 better than the 0-100 psi gauge ( Summit or Jeg's ?). Under the dash is a switch to read engine or accumulator pressure. If your not going to use both ports on the sandwich adapter please plug the spare off, no offense given. I'm now running a Hastings filter # 426 that has cotton as a media and it's 7" long, 3/8" clearance from the cross member.These are only ideas that i've come up with so your on your own if you have any failures. Carl. [Phone number snipped], Alameda, Calif...95 Disco. "Now get to work".............o&o>...................................

Attachments

• adapter, sender and pressure switch.jpg
    adapter, sender and pressure switch.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 69
  • oil gauge.jpg
    oil gauge.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 69
  • ram air and pre-oiler 1.jpg
    ram air and pre-oiler 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 71
  • ram cold air duct 1.jpg
    ram cold air duct 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 69
  • sandwich adapter side one.jpg
    sandwich adapter side one.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 70
S

super_poser

I have got my sandwich adapter drilled out and ready to go. I just need a couple of days at home to set it all up. I hope to put mine in after MAR. I will post haw it goes. Charles :biggrin:

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Anyone know if a A Piller gauge pod can be found for Rovers? I would like to put in a few gauges.

S

super_poser

JJMyerz said:
Anyone know if a A Piller gauge pod can be found for Rovers? I would like to put in a few gauges.

I have been looking and have not found any that are made for Rovers. I have seen some universal ones. Charles :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9