Oil Temp Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Sunbeam

So I changed my Oil using Valvoline semisynthetic 10-40 oil and a fram oil filter.

And sure enough the grippy paint on the filter is blistering again. I thouht I might be cooking my oil a bit as I was driving in a lean condition before my fuel pump was replaced but that shouldn't be the case as the Disco is running fine now.

I'm just afraid that maybe my oil cooler is clogged or something and while my cooling system is able to keep the overall temp in the below mid range the oil is getting super hot.

Does anyone know of a way of testing the oil temp to make sure it's in a safe range?

Thanks

Eric

95 Disco 181K miles

62Sunbeam

Another oil filter related question: Brit Pacific says they sell the "correct" oil filter with antidrainback valve which prevents engine damage. Is this true and what makes of oil filter have this?
Do I really nead it?

Thanks

Eric

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
"Does anyone know of a way of testing the oil temp to make sure it's in a safe range?"

Eric does the red temp oil light ever come on or possibly flicker? The anti-drain back is recommended, as it will normally prevent “dry starts” which can in turn lead to premature engine wear.

Napa Gold Filters, Long and Short K&N, as well as the Genuine LR.

W

wvrover

I picked up an inferred temp gun and use it all the time to check temps, with one of these you could check inlet and outlet of oil cooler to see if there is a difference. I have had good luck with K&N oil filters

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW: Red oil light is oil pressure, not oil temp.
And Fram filters are cheap, with cheap paint. Is it hot where you are? :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635