OJ/EP LR4 Tonight on Top Gear USA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My air filter wasn't a happy camper and needed a good dusting after we got out of there, but besides that no problems at all. Just a ton of fun, I highly recommend a visit if you are near Flagstaff. The guy in the orange Sport S/C popped a bead while doing "8"s and "0"s at high speed in the cinder. :wink:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a TV, but I was able to watch this episode because my neighbor taped it for me. I found the guys really annoying, but the show was very cool. I follow Scott on the ExPo forum quite often and very curious about the damage to the LR4. That guy did NOT do much in the way of what folks teach during off roading, but I guess that's the TV factor in play. It was nice to see a similarly equipped LR4 to mine, but man I was cringing so much at certain trails/scenes. When the LR4 crashed down on the ARB and the fender popped off, I was not surprised since it's right next to it. Still, they all abused the crap out of those vehicles! I bet Top Gear promised Scott something to allow them to do such damage.

I honestly don't think it was fair to have a Brute on there, that of course is a bit more off road ready. I would have preferred to see a stock Jeep Wrangler - much more fair comparison.

It was really a cool show and I think the LR4 did great. As for stalling twice, could it be that his gas was really low? I am not sure, but very curious.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My air filter wasn't a happy camper and needed a good dusting after we got out of there, but besides that no problems at all. Just a ton of fun, I highly recommend a visit if you are near Flagstaff. The guy in the orange Sport S/C popped a bead while doing "8"s and "0"s at high speed in the cinder. :wink:
A couple months ago some guys were doing 0's and 8's in the mud, but I did not. I am too afraid and it makes me really car sick - LOL!

Like I said, that show made me cringe!!!

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to Scott's response to the damage to the truck:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/87155-Overland-Journal-Project-Land-Rover-Discovery-4-(LR4)?p=1601838#post1601838

"Total damage was minimal.

Broken compressor mount on the water crossing (just one of the mounts. It didn't fall off)
Larger tires popped the fender flares off. Fixed with new plastic clips
Alignment adjustment
New windshield from a rock chip

These LR4s are tough. No notable damage at all, just minor stuff. Given how hard they beat that thing. The stalling was driver error. The whole concept of left foot braking was oddly foreign to Tanner... Trucks with low overall gearing and a lower stall converter can stall if you let them roll back on a climb. Even a JK automatic will do the same"

"The LR4 was the best in the cinders and on the staircase. In fact all of the trucks did the climb twice (for footage angles), and the LR4 cleaned the climb on the second run. Only truck to clean the climb. I attribute that to the independent suspension, wheelbase and those sticky Falkens"

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally just watched this episode of Top Gear USA...

What can I say, a non stock LR4 vs a stock Toyota FJ Cruiser and a totally custom built Jeep Wrangler...

Weird way of comparing vehicles, even though it shows that they are all very capable in most conditions.

The stalling mine have been due to too much angle at times... lack of lubrication maybe...

Anyway, Tanner probably should have driven the Brute AEV rather than the LR4.
Good to see a modern Rover on TV!!!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to Scott's response to the damage to the truck:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/87155-Overland-Journal-Project-Land-Rover-Discovery-4-(LR4)?p=1601838#post1601838

"Total damage was minimal.

Broken compressor mount on the water crossing (just one of the mounts. It didn't fall off)
Larger tires popped the fender flares off. Fixed with new plastic clips
Alignment adjustment
New windshield from a rock chip

These LR4s are tough. No notable damage at all, just minor stuff. Given how hard they beat that thing. The stalling was driver error. The whole concept of left foot braking was oddly foreign to Tanner... Trucks with low overall gearing and a lower stall converter can stall if you let them roll back on a climb. Even a JK automatic will do the same"

"The LR4 was the best in the cinders and on the staircase. In fact all of the trucks did the climb twice (for footage angles), and the LR4 cleaned the climb on the second run. Only truck to clean the climb. I attribute that to the independent suspension, wheelbase and those sticky Falkens"

Thanks. I was intending to jump over to the EP forum as I had been following Scott's thread. Too funny about Tanner not knowing about left foot braking. But at the same time, doesn't Rock Crawl and a couple of other systems attempt to offset that? Maybe not enough, huh? Good for me to know that I can't ignore left foot braking. And also funny about the flares popping off due to too large tires. Reinforces my decision to go with 18" wheels and tires that have a bit more margin for error. Of course I don't plan to nose dive into a pile of volcanic dust. ;-)

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I can assume that you are Epiccosmo on the EP forum? :wink:

Yea, I joined that forum back in my Jeep days. I am epiccosmo in the Jeep forums because my first JKU was suppose to be Cosmo Blue but when I went to purchase it there was a hail storm that messed it up and I ended up in a White one before I had my Crush Orange.

We were talking last night that we missed the Crush Orange one. I love that my LR4 is so tough it can go airborne and be fine but when it comes to its AC system it just can't handle it.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I joined that forum back in my Jeep days. I am epiccosmo in the Jeep forums because my first JKU was suppose to be Cosmo Blue but when I went to purchase it there was a hail storm that messed it up and I ended up in a White one before I had my Crush Orange.

We were talking last night that we missed the Crush Orange one. I love that my LR4 is so tough it can go airborne and be fine but when it comes to its AC system it just can't handle it.

Do they still think your AC is broken or is it that it can't handle the heat and humidity where you live? I do notice that my climate control swings pretty high and low. I've had better "auto" climate control in other vehicles than I have in this LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4