Okay, October can't get here fast enough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going crazy waiting for my LR4 to arrive. So bear with me. :)

Quijote, SHS14, you feeling the same way? I find myself looking at various things I can buy for a vehicle I don't even have yet. I picked up some front runner wolf pack storage boxes, and I've begun to put together a kit like umbertob described (ordered a new first aid kit and a compass yesterday).

Holy crap I'm never going to be able to wait. In the mean time, my current car was rear-ended in a parking lot, so it's really not helping matters (at the same time, I guess it's better to have happened to my "old" car than my new one).

Also, I'm doing the LR experience thing (two-day course !) next week. I'm sure that's going to help me have patience. ;)

Those of you with your LR4s, I need more pictures and stories! :) If you wouldn't mind of course. Living vicariously is all I've got.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's always an anxious time. I can't wait. But in my case it is down to very real, practical reasons. I really need a larger car. Of course I am also excited to get such a nice car. It is easily the most expensive car I've ever bought.

On the other hand, I do own nice cars, and returning my sweet, manual transmission, M-sport, RWD 328i wagon will be a sad day.

Nothing will match waiting from my first BMW. It was a 2003 330i ZHP (one of the first), and like with the 328i wagon, I had done European delivery. So I had already driven it for 10+ days in Germany and Switzerland. Waiting for it to arrive was agony. Especially because it was my first new car and was replacing a 170k-mile 1990 Mercedes 190E with an automatic. The difference was huge.

But yes, I am eagerly waiting for my LR4 and counting the weeks. I just have a lot going on right now, which helps to distract me and not go crazy about the wait.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also pretty excited waiting for mine to arrive, but I think since I had an LR4 already - it wasn't that bad. I actually was not in a hurry, but it ended up coming about 3 weeks early - before a scheduled trip. I was hoping it would be a bit delayed and I could pick it up after my trip to Boston, but no suck "luck".

Costelj and Quijote, I hope you both get your LR4s early! :) I can't wait to see photos!

Hey Quijote, my first new car was a 2002 BMW 330xi sedan that I ordered from Wagner BMW in West Boylston, MA - now they are located in Shrewsbury. I loved that car! It was that Steel Blue color with black interior and it was a great car. Around that time I also had a 2000 Discovery, which was the biggest piece of crap in the history of all crap. Despite that, I loved it, but got rid of it pretty quickly. I had the BMW for a few years and then traded it in for an E320 4Matic wagon (needed more room) - which was a great car, drove nice and roomy, but just so darn boring. It is such a housewife car. I bought the E320 wagon at Mercedes Benz of Natick (I think it's a Herb Chambers company). I subsequently moved to CA in 2006 and then traded in the wagon for an ML350. It was nice, but like the wagon, so boring. When the LR4 came out in 2010 I was a bit leary, but went and took a look and knew it was a huge upgrade (all around) from the LR3. So, that's when I leased my 2011 LR4 just in case it ended up being a big problem, at least I could more easily get out of it after the lease. The rest is history - traded that in and now have my 2013 that I ordered exactly how I want it. I will keep this one for a while.....

9A50-34E41D8FD39E-214-0000000878011FDB_zps984838db.jpg

B6EA-7D4C1ECA07BC-214-00000008879A4509_zpse50fae04.jpg

IMG_1485_zps7d0c5f56.jpg

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a 2003 330i ZHP (one of the first), and like with the 328i wagon, I had done European delivery. So I had already driven it for 10+ days in Germany and Switzerland. Waiting for it to arrive was agony.

+1 on BMW European Delivery. I did that last summer with my F10 (550i M Sport). Tracking the shipping vessel online for 20+ days was agonizing, a form of suffering that no first world individual should every have to endure. It took a total of 45 days from when I dropped it off in Paris to when it showed up at the BMW dealer in OKC.

I too am excited for my 2013 LR4 to arrive in October. Hopefully it ends up being late September. However, I'm also anxious to see what the MY14 turns out. I was fortunate that my dealer let me order a 2013 to my specs without financial committment, with an option to order a 2014 if so desired. Based on all the speculation we've seen, I'm leaning toward the MY13.

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely going crazy waiting for mine. For me, the wait started on my honeymoon when we did the Biltmore LR challenge with an LR3. It was so much fun and we have done the challenge just about every time we've gone back (haven't done the winch basics). We've driven an LR3, LR4, RRS, and recently the new RR supercharged. Every time we walked away agonizing over upgrading our 4Runner to an LR3/4. And, finally, this year we decided to make the jump considering the Toyota is now 10+ years old. With reliability on the uptick, I'm hoping the LR is a wonderful experience because we plan to keep it for awhile as well.

I've definitely made a list of accessories that I'm planning to purchase right away. With all the knowledge on this site, I've crossed some off and added others. I appreciate your candid feedback on parts/service. It has saved me money already and I hope to return the favor in time.

Cheers,
Joe

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. My list of accessories so far:

Pretty much immediately:
-Rubber floor mats
-cargo mat (flat AND raised lip?)
-ladder
-roof load bars
-tow hitch & electrics
-loadspace cover

A bit later:
-cargo barrier

Unsure:
-Mud flaps
-2nd battery
-llams

I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. My list of accessories so far:

Pretty much immediately:
-Rubber floor mats
-cargo mat (flat AND raised lip?)
-ladder
-roof load bars
-tow hitch & electrics
-loadspace cover

A bit later:
-cargo barrier

Unsure:
-Mud flaps
-2nd battery
-llams

I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff.

Make sure you do your research on what rack setup you want. Not all of them require the rails. Some bolt directly to the roof. Same with the ladder. I've been told by a rover tech that my Voyager ladder has better fitment than the LR version.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you do your research on what rack setup you want. Not all of them require the rails. Some bolt directly to the roof. Same with the ladder. I've been told by a rover tech that my Voyager ladder has better fitment than the LR version.

I am getting them from the factory with the black package, so I just need the load bars across.:wink:

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm torn on going factory based roof rack or going all aftermarket. I like the clean lines out of the box and am not convinced I would use an aftermarket rack enough to put up wind noise/aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, I think Finlayforprez's rig looks bad-ass.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm torn on going factory based roof rack or going all aftermarket. I like the clean lines out of the box and am not convinced I would use an aftermarket rack enough to put up wind noise/aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, I think Finlayforprez's rig looks bad-ass.
Thanks! :)

When you say factory-based roof rack, do you mean the expedition roof rack (like the one fitted on the LR4s currently on the expedition across the US)? My rack came from Urban Offroad and works with my stock full-length roof rails (standard on the black design package). A lot of the aftermarket (except Voyager - which I had on my previous LR4 and mbw has on his LR4) roof racks require the short/half rails or full-length rails. I would agree, unless you use the rack, it may not be worth the noise and increased height, etc.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90