One long nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wake me up!!!

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I became a first time Rover owner on 6/20/07. I bought a cute little '02 Freelander SE with only 50,000 mi. on it and the Carfax report was A+. The dealership does an extensive multi-point inspection, they say. Upon starting it up, I heard a subtle ticking noise and was told by the sales guys that " All newer cars do that at first because of the oil viscosity." I loved the car and wanted to believe them, but had them include checking and fixing the noise on the due bill to be safe. Anyway, I took the car to get checked and the oil was changed and I guess valves were adjusted. I picked it up and heard the same noise, just not as loud. I took it back in the week of Thanksgiving 2007 and was afoot until just 3 weeks ago.

I finally got a call to pick it up after they ultimately replaced the entire motor with another used one. The ticking noise that I was hearing ended up being a piston sleeve moving in and out of the block with a piston! It wasn't anything that anyone could have discovered without completely tearing down the engine to find. Well, I was so happy to get the call that it was finally ready for me to pick up, I was in tears. My three month nightmare was finally over. My dad ran me down to the shop 40 miles away where we arrived just before closing. I jumped in, cranked it over and drove home.

The next day I reacquainted myself with it, washed it and took it for a drive. It was then I noticed a hauntingly familiar sound. The exact noise I heard from my original motor was coming from the replacement. Land Rover wouldn't give up a new one, saying they were keeping them for the owners that were still under factory warranty, so I had to buy a used one. It has a three month warranty, but I'm now terrified to get it checked because I'm afraid it's going to start all over again!

The used car dealership has finally agreed to help me into a better vehicle and take the Freelander back, which is what should have happened in the first place. I know I'm still going to come out of this losing thousands of dollars. But I can't even sell it to a private party because of it's status. I haven't had it long enough to get any trade in value anywhere but where I bought it from. I'm window shopping and researching other SUV's so I'll hopefully be informed enough to know if these salesmen have any integrity or not.
It seems that all auto makers have a "mistake model" that they put out there for us to choke on, this is Land Rovers mistake, buyers beware...as much as I really hate to say it.:dontknow:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9