Ordered a 2013 Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul... The all-road is a great car - but I'd keep the LR3. :) Has your Audi been pretty reliable?

David, I've never driven the current/outgoing RRS, but have considered picking up one. I do love the classic look and worried the new one is too soft as so many mentioned. But I do worry that if I picked up the outgoing RRS in two or three years I may have buyers remorse... it may feel and look outdated. But we'll see next week... and I cannot wait either, I'm very excited. I also wouldn't get the SC because IMO it's just too much and pretty damn expensive. In that price range I'd definitely get a outgoing RR or new one.

I do love my LR4 though. It has the room, the V8... and the ability to pretty much go anywhere. But I find myself getting older and thinking differently each year as my Son gets older. I used to have more time to do things that I liked... you know, the selfish guy stuff. I also used to be heavily into photography and nowadays I hardly pick up the camera. I don't know if it's time needed to raise a family or if I'm just growing and changing myself. It wasn't easy for me to let go of of my passion for M3s either... they were a hobby and driving meant the world to me. As I find myself getting lazier and lazier... the thought of having a vehicle that's more luxury than anything appeals to me greatly.

So finding the sweet spot is key and I'll be considering the above. And the Merc. I will admit though, the AMG wagon also tickles my nuts. And the sedan. Last year I almost got the E63... just happened to be at Mercedes dropping my wife's car off at service and the sale's rep who is got to be the coolest guy around, temped me quite a bit. He was offering me an insane deal on a black/black E63. I was just one step away from signing the paperwork. But one of the reasons why I didn't grab the deal was because I cannot drive to work in such a beast. My Dad always said, do not drive a nicer car than your boss. At that time I was at Sony and my boss drove a E63 convertible. Not a good idea. I know it sounds stupid and shallow to think this way, but unfortunately, this is how the world works.

But now I'm back at HP. And I work in online and mobile engineering. Also work downtown so I can take the bus a few days a week... and all the engineers drive some crazy cars. And no one there really cares what you drive. There are some engineers who drive 911s... some with Lotus, RRs... And never has anyone ever judged you or made assumptions on what you drive. I guess what I'm saying is that if I was at HP during the time the AMG deal came my way, I likely would have taken it. It was a crazy, crazy deal!!! Would my wife beat me? Yes... but only for a few days. Oddly, before I got into M3s, I was in the market for a 911, but my wife said they felt unsafe... but when we test drove the e46 M3 (pre-kids), which IMO was way more dangerous, trouble-maker chick picker-upper, my wife looks over to me and says, "I feel really safe in this car, I like it." In my head I was like... "God, if she only knew! YAY!!!..." Drove back to the dealership and made the deal. After that M3 hit age I bought a new e90 M3 a year before my Son was born, then when my Son turned 1, I traded her in for the LR4.

I have to say I don't really understand the logic. I had one of the first E46 ZHP's and through my first son's 2nd B-day. At that point My 2nd boy was born and I got a beater JGC along with my Boxster S. I sold that because once our nanny left I had very little chance to drive it. I just picked up a 997TT (used) and my boys (3 & 5) love sitting in the back.

All that time we've had a larger family vehicle (V70R, Jeep) for trips, etc. But I've happily commuted with the kids in 3er's with no problem at all. My daily driver for the past two years has been an M-Sport E90 wagon. I love that car, but I will return it at lease end because with the 997TT and my wife's Mini CooperS (which I used for some time to commute with the boys) I will need the 3rd car to be a roomy family car. Enter the LR4.

So, I don't get why the need to trade in an E90 M3 (which I almost got instead of the E90 wagon but felt my little kids would destroy the soft leather plus it got me brownie points I chased in for the 997TT) for an LR4 when you have one child.

I have two kids, a yellow lab, and could possibly have a third, which is why I am looking for a car with a 3rd row and roomy cargo area.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we live in the city San Francisco and it's tough to have three cars. If I had a third car I'd have to rent a garage. One day I do plan to get a sports car again, likely a 911, but until then, we're stuck with two cars. My wife's Mercedes is a good cruiser but not a long-hauler. The LR4 is awesome and I'm more than happy with it. But I do miss the feel of a car, or at least one that handles just a little better. That's why I'm thinking the RRS either outgoing or next gen would fit pretty well. And I'd still get to take off road and enjoy that experience as well.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, congrats to all the soon-to-be 2013 LR4 owners, it looks like Land Rover really hit the jackpot by not announcing anything official regarding MY2014s, lol. Looking forward to the photos and inevitable mods! :)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, congrats to all the soon-to-be 2013 LR4 owners, it looks like Land Rover really hit the jackpot by not announcing anything official regarding MY2014s, lol. Looking forward to the photos and inevitable mods! :)
;-) Thanks.

Even if the news is all speculation, it's still about the timing I would order a new LR4. If the news of the V6 is real, then that's a plus.

I want to figure out my roof rack options before it arrives, especially considering the black design pack has the long rails.

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2013 LR4 sales velocity seems pretty lackluster locally, at least in terms when compared to RR and RRS sales. Cole European which is in the East Bay sell about 1-per-week and San Jose and BMC here in San Francisco still have the same LR4s they had months ago. Most are non-Lux so maybe that's why. But they're not flying off the shelves. And honestly, outside of most of us, or at least your typical LR enthusiast, V8 and V6 doesn't really make a difference, but mileage does. - our numbers are pretty small in comparison to the mass-market buyer. Regardless, I still find it to be a complete crime they're putting a V6 into a Range Rover.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we live in the city San Francisco and it's tough to have three cars. If I had a third car I'd have to rent a garage. One day I do plan to get a sports car again, likely a 911, but until then, we're stuck with two cars. My wife's Mercedes is a good cruiser but not a long-hauler. The LR4 is awesome and I'm more than happy with it. But I do miss the feel of a car, or at least one that handles just a little better. That's why I'm thinking the RRS either outgoing or next gen would fit pretty well. And I'd still get to take off road and enjoy that experience as well.
You are lucky to have parking for two cars in San Francisco! :)

I have to help a friend of mine move his TV (it does not fit in his X5) from San Jose to San Francisco tomorrow. I guess that's the benefit of driving a box. Haha!

I am in San Carlos and barely ever go to San Francisco. To be honest, I don't like the city (any city).

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are lucky to have parking for two cars in San Francisco! :)

I have to help a friend of mine move his TV (it does not fit in his X5) from San Jose to San Francisco tomorrow. I guess that's the benefit of driving a box. Haha!

I am in San Carlos and barely ever go to San Francisco. To be honest, I don't like the city (any city).

-David

LOL... funny thing is I grew up in the sticks and moved to NYC when I was 18 to go to school... have lived in a large city ever since. New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco. But my Dad lives in Sonoma and my Mum lives just an hour and a half of NYC, a beautiful lake front property that's truly out of On Golden Pond... so I still get the taste of the outdoors. I think in the next five-years though we'll buy something in Marin or San Mateo-area.

I've put the craziest stuff into my LR4. Huge Christmas trees... like 20 bags of stone for my landscaping, plants, trees, people (haha) a huge HDTV for a friend (they fit perfectly btw) and so much more. When I did take that trip up to Canada the truck was packed with all sorts of stuff for the trip and I remember thinking to myself how awesome it was to have so much space. Definitely reminds one at how INCREDIBLE the LR4 really is.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL... funny thing is I grew up in the sticks and moved to NYC when I was 18 to go to school... have lived in a large city ever since. New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco. But my Dad lives in Sonoma and my Mum lives just an hour and a half of NYC, a beautiful lake front property that's truly out of On Golden Pond... so I still get the taste of the outdoors. I think in the next five-years though we'll buy something in Marin or San Mateo-area.

I've put the craziest stuff into my LR4. Huge Christmas trees... like 20 bags of stone for my landscaping, plants, trees, people (haha) a huge HDTV for a friend (they fit perfectly btw) and so much more. When I did take that trip up to Canada the truck was packed with all sorts of stuff for the trip and I remember thinking to myself how awesome it was to have so much space. Definitely reminds one at how INCREDIBLE the LR4 really is.
TVs definitely fit well in the LR4; that's why everyone always asks me! :) I really love all the space in the LR4. I had a 2011 Range Rover Sport for the day and it's roomy, but definitely not as much as the LR4. It's a bit more squished - and I am wondering if the 2014 model is even worse. We shall see.

I grew up outside Boston, went to college in MA, and then went to NYC for graduate/medical school. Though, while in school, I lived in CT and commuted into the city. I have never liked the city. We spend a lot of time in Utah, as that is where my wife is from and her church - she does not like living in CA, but I can't leave work right now. I really want to move back to New England - preferably New Hampshire.

-David

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

Congrats on your 2013 order. I'm convinced I will get another LR4 (or whatever they will call it in 18 months). Just had mine in for yearly service and was asking one of the sales advisors about a body style change. She said probably not until 2015 or 2016. Not sure if I believe that... But FWIW that's what she said.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

Congrats on your 2013 order. I'm convinced I will get another LR4 (or whatever they will call it in 18 months). Just had mine in for yearly service and was asking one of the sales advisors about a body style change. She said probably not until 2015 or 2016. Not sure if I believe that... But FWIW that's what she said.
To be honest, I trust the guys on this forum more than I do the sales folks. I think they hear rumors, but it's all speculation and we seem to know more than them! :)

But, I think we have talked about a body style change in 2015-2016 when they likely will have an LR5. We have been discussing this on another thread and wondering if they will change things drastically (i.e., make it look Evoque-ish) or leave it pretty much as is - maybe a few refreshments.

Either way, I have a feeling like they might try to round out headlights, etc. I am glad I am getting a 2013 - will likely keep this one long-term.

-David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM