overheating issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

winston T

Reaction score
so i own a 96 landrover discovery and i have been having overheating problems for some time now. i replaced the water pump, flushed the radiator and just went ahead and took the thermostat out (seeing that i live in texas i thought i could manage without it). my car is still over heating though! i discovered the other day that the two fans behind the grill, in front of the radiator were spinning hardly at all and i think this could be my problem. i think they are the ac condensor fans (sorry i dont really know alot about cars)? my question is that is it possible that there could just be a loose connection that i could fix myself or that i have to get two new fans? thanks!
-winston

btw, this is my first post so hello everyone!:hello:

samroverguy

Reaction score
welcome to the forums! the problem you are talking about is going to cost a fortune to fix. you can't do it yourself either, so you will have to go the dealer. Just kidding. I don't really have any experience with the fans you are mentioning, but someone here should have an answer soon.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you are correct that these are the A/C fans. Not hard to change, but time consuming and it will require pulling the radiator.

Best best is to buy new ones at you local auto parts store that will fit, if you are not sure... pick up any land rover magazine and look for UK parts places and get a part number and cross reference to something that you can source local.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a new thermostat back in as well - it needs it (on a cool evening you will start getting check engine lights if you don't - been there, done that)! Have you also checked your viscous main fan (assuming your year has one)?

winston T

Reaction score
yea ill get a new one of those then and put it back in, nah i havent checked that yet. im not sure if my year has that either, im not sure thought, i just assumed bc the 2 smaller ones werent really spinning that was the issue but ill look into that too. awesome thank ya

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you have a Viscous clutch fan as most vehicles with A/C at least the ones with a standard style engine.

You may want to check for play in the water pump as well... with the fan attached try to wiggle it.. if you see play in the pump shaft I would replace the pump as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9