Passenger 12V port no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433998089.680032.jpg
The local plastics place (TAP Plastics) made me a wedge of plastic to angle the faceplate towards the driver and again I used my double sided tape to tape the wedge to the trim and the radio to the wedge.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433998132.615121.jpg

This tape is legit. I have used it for the same radio faceplate in the 110 and it holds up to the heat, vibrations, corrugations, you name it for 2 years. I get mine at Lowes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433998325.335112.jpg

The radio in the 110
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433998360.133124.jpg

Here is the bracket mod. Just have to drill another hole which moves the radio down. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433998562.231705.jpg

Last edited:

tucsontom

Reaction score
All very interesting - I will save this article for when mine arrives. Currently I have a permanent roof top antennae ( and 8' tall garage doors!) but I like the side mount approach - no holes in the roof. Do you have an extra long mic cord and a convenient hanger clip for the mic and then solely use your mic for all control once you power up? Seems like under the seat is the best option for the unit.

tucsontom

Reaction score
OK - I think I get it now - the head unit is to the right of the console and the antennae connection is under the seat.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. Sorry for the late reply I was playing in the backcountry of Oregon. Radio worked well but was too quiet. I bought an external speaker at a truck stop and all is good. Volume is at 1/4-1/3 max and I can hear it well. I used double sided tape to stick the speaker to the cross bar under the seat. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434897732.137956.jpg

Sorry I forgot to take a pic of the plastic wedge I used to angle the faceplate. Dimensions are 4 in long, 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch high angled down to close to zero.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the mic, the face plate is easy to use in this location but once the freq is set I use the mic. No extra long cord needed. I do use a retractable mic holder in the 110 and will probably be getting one for the LR4. There is a lot of clutter in the center console with phones and other devices/wires

tucsontom

Reaction score
Thanks for the update! My Yaesu does not have a detachable faceplate. I will scope out my situation once I get the LR4 - late July - and will then debate how I can use my existing unit and where I want the antennae. Right now it is on the roof of my Yukon so all my wiring is upfront - I like that but I do not like the idea of drilling a hole in the roof of a brand new vehicle. I like what you did with the antennae and may go that direction when all is said and done. Handheld radios are fine for travel with multiple vehicles but having a mobile unit just is better all around.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah we just had 9 trucks up in Oregon and the 50W is awesome. We divided the group one day but had comms between them. Do you have the LUX w cooler box? If not one guy wired his unit into center cubby.

tucsontom

Reaction score
I ordered a true Base LR4 (so I could afford Compomotive wheels- tries and a rack)- so the cubby idea is a good one!

We started using them as a Chase team for the Baja 1000 and Baja 250 and found them to indispensable (amateur motorcycle team) . Took the HAM course (what a pain to study for that thing) - but now for any multi-vehicle trip they are so handy! I have both a 75 (or 70 - can't remember) in dash and a portable 50W set up to hand off to a vehicle (I have it strapped to a mini-bean bag and it sets atop whoevers dash) - - seems like the Antennae set up if more important than 50 vs 70W.

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the dual USB port in place of the right side cig lighter, how do you pop out the stock cig lighter? I'm guessing you have to somehow pop off the trim piece its mounted in. How do you get the trim out?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM