Pictures of Safari 4x4 Snorkel...(Finally)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Matt_Grim2

Freeflytim said:
Dusty conditions. But with the intake where it is on the D3/LR3 its not really needed. When you see snork on other Rovers, the intake is under the hood and it sucks all that crud into the engine compartment.

That makes sense i remember hearing that, its like LR made the LR3 so it would not need the snorkel other than for the cosmetic look that some like...

F

Freeflytim

and Sadly, on the RR sport, they put a intake on BOTH sides... one being a 100% fake cutout.

M

Matt_Grim2

Freeflytim said:
and Sadly, on the RR sport, they put a intake on BOTH sides... one being a 100% fake cutout.

I didn't know that I thought both were being used because I remember in the LR3 videos they said "there is only one because we only needed one" so I figured the Range Rover Sport needed two, so the one is just there for looks ? Hey at least it looks good...

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A diesel engine can be designed to be near waterpoof, so in that case... a snorkel can be a benefit for wading.

I do think it's possible a snorkel can help in the most extreme dust/sand scenarios on the LR3... but nothing I'd run into. The G4 group obviously thought it was needed. :)

M

Matt_Grim2

grommet said:
A diesel engine can be designed to be near waterpoof, so in that case... a snorkel can be a benefit for wading.

I do think it's possible a snorkel can help in the most extreme dust/sand scenarios on the LR3... but nothing I'd run into. The G4 group obviously thought it was needed. :)

Did not know that about a diesel engine, wish they would finally just go ahead and bring them to the U.S. so we can all in joy them like the rest of the world...

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, we're all waiting for clean diesel fuel and better designed diesel engines... coming starting 2007, so give it a few years before Land Rover jumps in.

F

Freeflytim

Why? They are slow and have you noticed that diesel is $.25+ higher at the pump and they don't get better enough MPG to make it worth it.

The only reason they are popular in other markets is 'cause GAS is taxed WAY more than diesel.

Duh.

Last edited by a moderator:

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel technology is improving, Tim. A modern V8 diesel can be impressive... for example, the Audi V8 4.2 litre TDI generates 326 HP & 479 lb/ft Torque... and gets at least 7 MPG better in mixed use than the slower 4.2 litre gasoline engine in the Audi A8. Let's see what Land Rover comes up with for North America...

P

PCH

Matt_Grim2 said:
I have seen videos of the Safari 4x4 Snorkel on a Disco II that allowed it to drive into a river & float down it (engine still running) but I don't see a pratical use for it other than just you like the look...

This is a link to a post on water crossings. Some are silly risks in my opinion but over here downunder we have to sometimes cross a swollen river as a necessity after a heavy down poor.

I too don't like the look of the G4 or Safari snorkels but I will favour the G4 version only because it looks a bit more integrate (if you know what I mean).

For me if a snokel will stop the chance of ingesting water then I'll fit one no questions asked since a blind on the front won't stop water entering the side air intake on the D3

Chris

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=15537

B

Baben

Re: diesel engine, no way is it slow. Especially at a mile above sea level. Up here in Johannesburg, the diesel almost matches the V8 on performance because of the turbo. Fuel economy is also far superior, eg. 13l/100km vs 20l+/100km for the V8. At sea level maybe a different story.
Different strokes for different folks. You need to drive the new TDV6 to believe it. Very quiet, very smooth, and powerful. My previous disco was the TD5 (also Diesel) and we had years of happy motoring with it, despite that because of the noise the neighbours thought we owned a tractor...

BTW, locally the main expressed use for the snorkel is as Tim says - dust, especially when travelling on convoy, the snorkel will allow your vehicle to breathe cleaner air above the level of the dust thrown up by the vehicle in front of you. At least this is the plan :) But I think with the side-mounted intake it may be unneccessary.
If you are gonna cross water deeper than the wading depth, you also need to make sure all the other systems in the vehicle are equipped with breathers that exit far above this level, and this entails electrical systems, lights, battery, gearboxes, diffs, etc. etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99