Piston Slap???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 D2 has 40,000 miles. There is a clatter like a diesel for about 2 minutes on start up. Oil changes have been by Land Rover since the beginning so oil filters were proper. I have been told by a mechanic that it is piston slap until engine warms up.

Any start ups later in the day are quiet but then again they are not in the garage so sound might not be as loud.

Anybody else with this problem?

D

discomike

Go staight to the dealer and get it covered under warranty, plan on leaving it over night so they can duplicate the noise.
Mike J.

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 99 D2 (41k miles) does the same exact thing, i just assumed it was normal for LR

Last edited:
D

discomike

Chris,
I'll bet your 99 is like mine and just has the typical exhaust leak that goes away when it warms up, no too many 99's had piston, usually always broken exhaust studs.
Mike J.

D

discomike

No, it is a whole bunch easier and cheaper to fix.
Mike

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dealer oil changes, why?

Sydeem, proper filter but installed dry so the dealer can rev the sont out of the engine until oil pressure is established again. Normal morning dry starts plus a empty filter, that must be good for 15-20 seconds or more of metal to metal wear. Dealers are in the business to make money and sell vehicles, not make them last 250,000 miles. At the least do your own oil changes and fill the filter with clean oil before installing it. The pre-oiler that i run gives me oil pressure before the crank ever turns even after over night oil draining for a complete drain. Thats just my opinion. Carl.....o&o>........

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carl, I like your pre-oiler idea. Searched and found your discription and pictures. Just might go to the trouble to try something like that after I take the dealer to task as suggested earlier.

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to drag this on, but the dealer says the slap (or clacking) noise I hear on startup is the oil pump and that as the pump primes itself the slap goes away.

Did Discovery wind up with a different oil pump than the Rover because I have a Rover with a '94 3.9L engine that is quite as can be on startup? And I just did my own oil change on the Rover (per forum instruction) and it didn't make a sound on startup even with all the oil having been drained from the nooks and crannies. (Of course I filled before starting!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72