Pollen/Cabin Filter maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone replaced their cabin air filter ?

I ordered Mann Filter with active carbon. ( CUK 2747) It looks like Mann makes Original filter for LR4 and the only difference is Land Rover Logo if you buy it from your dealer. Part number is the same and both are made in Germany.
Replacing pollen filter should be extremely simple but Land Rover makes this not so obvious. First of all this filter can be installed in two orientation and only one is correct. The filter has two " wings" and air flow should be toward the fan.

I believe the correct orientation is with the wings facing down , and just before you put the filter into its slot you have to fold those wings up.( an arrow that shows air flow is on the filter body and it will be pointing down).

Be carful since Atlantic British online video shows it the wrong way.
http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/pollen-filter-replacement-lr3/

TLB

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to do this soon, so thanks for the heads up. I honestly didn't know there was a way to potentially screw this up. I had planned on relying on the AB video, too.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone replaced their cabin air filter ?

I ordered Mann Filter with active carbon. ( CUK 2747) It looks like Mann makes Original filter for LR4 and the only difference is Land Rover Logo if you buy it from your dealer. Part number is the same and both are made in Germany.
Replacing pollen filter should be extremely simple but Land Rover makes this not so obvious. First of all this filter can be installed in two orientation and only one is correct. The filter has two " wings" and air flow should be toward the fan.

I believe the correct orientation is with the wings facing down , and just before you put the filter into its slot you have to fold those wings up.( an arrow that shows air flow is on the filter body and it will be pointing down).

Be carful since Atlantic British online video shows it the wrong way.
http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/pollen-filter-replacement-lr3/

TLB

TLB, thanks again for the heads up. My Mann filter arrived today and I just installed it with airflow arrows oriented down toward the fan. This made sense because the filter I replaced was dirty on the upper surface (opposite from the fan).

One thing I *did* take from the AB video was the folding of the wings. I folded them both under the filter to snug things up. The instruction photos were not clear and I didn't see what function they would serve if they were left flapping against the side of the filter as it shipped. Could be wrong but everything fit and felt right once I buttoned it up. Cheers.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat related, my blower motor is noisy when running, now that I can hear it it's annoying beyond belief, that's ALL I hear in the car... :mad: I will have to remove it to see if it's a bad bearing or motor (as I fear), or hopefully just some dirt on the blades of the fan making all that racket. I checked online, $140 for a stupid fan! I hope it's dirt / leaves / something, but it sounds like bad bearings to me.

The other problem is that the shop manual says you need to remove the lower glove box first to access and remove the blower motor, and of course you need a friggin' special tool (which I am sure costs $5000 from Land Rover) to disassemble and reassemble the hinges of the glove box. Hopefully removing the glove box is not absolutely necessary. Anyone tried removing the blower motor from the LR4 for servicing r replacement before?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat related, my blower motor is noisy when running, now that I can hear it it's annoying beyond belief, that's ALL I hear in the car... :mad:

All I can add is that when I had the glove box door lowered for filter installation, I remember noticing that access to the fan assembly seemed pretty good. But I wasn't assessing it from a need to service it, it was just a general observation.

Re noises that drill into your brain like Poe's Telltale Heart, there is a plastic flexing/ticking noise emanating from my glove box area when I drive. Of course it is intermittent and I'm never able to hear it when I have someone else drive so I can diagnose it. I have noticed that if I reach over and get a few fingertips around the vertical seam on the right side of the center stack, I can give that area a little tug and it goes away.

For about 3 minutes.

To preserve my sanity I have been repeating "It's a Land Rover Thing" over and over. That's normal, right? :stupid:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Re noises that drill into your brain like Poe's Telltale Heart, there is a plastic flexing/ticking noise emanating from my glove box area when I drive. Of course it is intermittent and I'm never able to hear it when I have someone else drive so I can diagnose it. I have noticed that if I reach over and get a few fingertips around the vertical seam on the right side of the center stack, I can give that area a little tug and it goes away.

For about 3 minutes.

To preserve my sanity I have been repeating "It's a Land Rover Thing" over and over. That's normal, right? :stupid:

I've got the same thing and it absolutely drives me bonkers! I haven't pinpointed the source, which makes it worse.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score

LOL! I hate those sort of noise. But, sigh, I have actually had them in my previous two vehicles, a Lexus 350 and an Acura MDX, and though the dealerships tried they were never able to fix them. The one I have now in my LR4 sounds like a screw was dropped somewhere in the front-ish part of the dashboard.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must be a LR4 thing. I had the sound from the vent fan, a weird screw noise from no idea where in the dashboard and a constant vibration sound as soon as I drove faster than 20mph coming from no idea where as well (in our 2010).
It drove me crazy.
One of the first thing my wife attempted to say when we got our newer LR4 a little over 1.5 months ago was "did you notice..." At which point I interrupted her as I didn't want to jinx ourselves and have some creepy sound coming back up.
We'll see in a few months if this is still true... The quiet ride

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99