Popped a front air bag/strut on a class 4 trail this weekend.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, ran Mosquito Pass with a couple of friends this weekend. A typical beautiful Colorado fall day. About halfway, after you make the first "climb" and it flattens out "POP . . .sissssssssss". I rubbed a hole in the canister of the right side front air bag.

The good thing, an LR3 can run a class 4 trail on it's bump stops (super uncomfortable though). The bad thing, now I have figure out what was rubbing against the canister. I have a spare, so other than busted knuckles and time, I'm good there.

I already checked the driver side, no abrasion, at all . . . .

Running on the bump stops from Leadville to Denver is not recommended by this owner/enthusiast, although it is a great way to make sure your innards are good and shaken (not stirred).

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. Did the same to my first one over 2 years ago. Same strut same side. Couple of things you can do, refresh the bushings on the front and install a NEW front strut not a used one. The consensus by myself and others with the same problem is that as the strut wears the shock seems to extend further then it did when new causing the upper a-arm to contact the spring at full extension. If you go the used strut route depending on how many miles are on it you will be that much closer to it happening again. You aren't the first and won't be the last.. I will say that this was the final problem that pushed me over the edge with the LR3 (When it started happening with the second strut just 2 years later). I have since gotten rid of the LR3 and am on the hunt for a Defender 110.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW - Rod modification seems to make no difference. The first one for me happened with and I removed the rod mod for the 2nd one.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW - Rod modification seems to make no difference. The first one for me happened with and I removed the rod mod for the 2nd one.

Wow . . .was really thinking the Toddco lift I put on contributed to the problem. I was working on putting the "old" struts back on this afternoon, couldn't figure out how/why the upper control arm was hitting the canister, couldn't get it to hit.

I had new canisters (all four, bought from Land Rover Parts.com) installed with the lift (seemed like a smart thing to do) and I had new bushings installed THIS WEEK with an alignment at the dealer.

BUT, the upper control arm is definately the cause of the gouging and ultimate "pop' of the bag.

I've been working on a new control arm setup. I have a bit of tire envy and from what I can see, the control arms are the limiting factor. Now with this recent failure, I have the sense that maybe I ought to pursue this idea with more urgency.

I know some of the more die hard forum folks will likely poo-poo the idea but my idea isn't new, just new for Land Rovers. Companies have been doing the same thing for year on various vehicles (trucks, jeeps, FJ's, etc).

I'm an ME, so as soon as I can get the design prototyped, I'll trail test it. I have a couple of business contacts (mostly Jeep stuff) that will likely prototype it for me. Getting a bit late out here, snow will start flying soon in the high country.

Little bit of DOM tubing, patterned after the OE upper and lower A arms . . . .that smell you're smelling is the chance to run 35's on an LR3!:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that this was the final problem that pushed me over the edge with the LR3 (When it started happening with the second strut just 2 years later). I have since gotten rid of the LR3 and am on the hunt for a Defender 110.

Funny, I used to have a BIG Jeep . . . .8" lift, 37's, locked front and rear, geared . . . sold it to buy the LR3 for a more "adult" toy. Ah, the price of admission.

I have a business "friend" that is building a D110 "overland" for SEMA this year. So cool, would love to find one that I can afford. Found a really nice D90, tons of miles on though.

I love my LR3 . . except for this catastrophic failure. Holding my breath for the new U.S. spec Defender.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't pay attention to your signature. The rod mod on its own has little effect on the suspension problem you are having. However the Toddco Spacer lift is a big problem and certainly accelerated the failure happening. If you are going to run the spacers you must design some sort of limiting check strap to prevent the front wheels from extending too far causing the a-arm to contact.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an excellent point . . . . Likely easier than fabbing a new upper control arm.

I installed the spare struts . . . Still have the suspension failure, had to drop it off at the dealer . . . . .

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I rubbed a hole in the canister of the right side front air bag.

The good thing, an LR3 can run a class 4 trail on it's bump stops (super uncomfortable though). The bad thing, now I have figure out what was rubbing against the canister. I have a spare, so other than busted knuckles and time, I'm good there....

How does the LR3 run after the airbag pops? I would think it would force you to access height, low gears, low speed or something annoying. I've had to limp off a beach after sensor problems which caused the computer to lower my truck with my differentials dragging in the sand and threatening to dig me a grave! Can't imagine how you ran the trail (if the LR3 didn't let you keep the other 3 bags inflated.)

Have a picture of the damaged canister? I'd like to look at mine to see if there is any abrasion, but i'm not sure where to look.

Good luck!

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the fronts popped, it dropped the front to the bump stops. The rears were still inflated. I had to adjust the rod length to drop the rear down enough to attempt to smooth out the ride.

The computer kept telling me the speed was limited but it didn't prevent driving at highway-ish speeds. Ultimately, one of the height sensors failed, dropping the rears to the bump stops too.

A very uncomfortable ride back home.

I do have pix of the canisters, I'll post them. When I get to a computer.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a picture of the damaged canister? I'd like to look at mine to see if there is any abrasion, but i'm not sure where to look.

Good luck!

Here's the picture of the front strut canister.

Attachments

• LR3 Strut damage.jpg
    LR3 Strut damage.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM