Possible new LR II questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake1967

Reaction score
Looking for some insight, I have been a Land Cruiser owner for 10+ years. I can turn wrenches and have no issues trying to do my own maintenance (brakes, rebuilding axles, alternators, etc, etc...). I am considering trading my '92 Series 80 Land Cruiser for a '03 Discovery with 113K on the clock. I have heard a lot of the negative comments regarding reliability, etc, etc... Not concerned about that IF this is a vehicle that can be maintained by me.

Any insight with regards to this? I have owned Saabs in the past and they had a bad rap as well. I maintained them myself and had no problems.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Well use this as perspective, I have heard nothing but bad comments regarding reliability of the TLC... But I also know for a fact they can be reliable and take you anywhere if maintained.

an 03 disco is a good vehicle, only issues you may have that would be hard to service would be computer issues that may come up. They do not happen often, but when they do happen it will require a Land Rover Specific Computer to clear them i.e. a $10,000.00 tablet sized computer to plug into the Disco. Other than that everything should be easy for someone who has done what you state.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, LRII (actually LR2), isn't the same as a Discovery II. The LR2 is the US designation for the Freelander 2 because Freelanders had such a horrible reputation in the US.
Then Land Rover further muddied the waters calling the Discovery 3 & 4 the LR3 & 4 in the US because the Discovery had a bad reputation.
Apparently they thought Americans were too stupid to realize.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99