Power windows, sunroof & mirrors not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brooksie055

Reaction score
I own a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE, of course when I bought it and came with no Owner's manual. Last week my wife tried to use the windows and they would not work along with the Sunroof & side mirrors. Nothing was spilled so she tells me. I know NOTHING about automotive, but the first thing I thought was a bad fuse. Of course with no manual I have no idea what fuse controls the windows so I metered every fuse on the passenger side seat and under the hood and all fuses are good. I took the switch pack out and made sure it was plugged in properly and I wanted to see if there was anything spilled into it. nothing was spilled into it, and when I plug it in and turn the lights on the green LED comes on so it's getting power. When I drive in reverse the mirrors will shift down so they work, just not through the switch. Could it be a bad relay??? How does one check to see if a relay is bad and does anyone know which relay controls the switch pack? I'm praying I don't need a new switch pack as I was looking them up and there close to 400 bucks, OUCH!!!

Another strange thing happens, this has been happening for a while now but the locks will just lock them selves and unlock out of the blue, even when the vehicle is shut off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm actually not a newbie here, I signed up a few years ago but haven't come to the site in a while and for some reason couldn't sign in so I had to sign up all over again. Thanks again in advance, Brian

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend getting an owners manual or a copy of the fuse list... but if all the above is happening, it almost sounds like something has gotten either wet or a bad fuse... I will look up what fuse it what tomorrow, unless someone else gets to it first.

warwickdan

Reaction score
I have the identical problem with my 99 4.0 S. I made the mistake of leaving the sunroof open in the rain, So I know it got wet. Have you had any luck resolving the problem?

I own a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE, of course when I bought

it and came with no Owner's manual. Last week my wife tried to use the windows and they would not work along with the Sunroof & side mirrors. Nothing was spilled so she tells me. I know NOTHING about automotive, but the first thing I thought was a bad fuse. Of course with no manual I have no idea what fuse controls the windows so I metered every fuse on the passenger side seat and under the hood and all fuses are good. I took the switch pack out and made sure it was plugged in properly and I wanted to see if there was anything spilled into it. nothing was spilled into it, and when I plug it in and turn the lights on the green LED comes on so it's getting power. When I drive in reverse the mirrors will shift down so they work, just not through the switch. Could it be a bad relay??? How does one check to see if a relay is bad and does anyone know which relay controls the switch pack? I'm praying I don't need a new switch pack as I was looking them up and there close to 400 bucks, OUCH!!!

Another strange thing happens, this has been happening for a while now but the locks will just lock them selves and unlock out of the blue, even when the vehicle is shut off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm actually not a newbie here, I signed up a few years ago but haven't come to the site in a while and for some reason couldn't sign in so I had to sign up all over again. Thanks again in advance, Brian

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start by cleaning all the switches.

RRLandH

Reaction score
Me Too!

We just had the exact same problem with the windows not working and the sunroof not working after we left the sunroof open in the rain. Ok, really dumb but it was a hot day! :)

Anyway, initially none of the displays worked including speedometer, gas, temp, etc as well as the radio sometimes worked and the hvac console was dark....BUT the windows were working at first. Then the right rear back door lock stopped working and now the door won't open at all. The displays all came back on after driving for about 15 minutes but the next day the windows all stopped working and haven't worked since.

We did get fuse 4,7, and 8 failure so we replaced those fuses however, we are still getting fuse 4 failure after the fuse was replaced multiple times.

Anyway, we are most concerned about the windows since (of course) our air conditioner does not work and its too hot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have shorted out some switches... take them apart and clean them with contact cleaner.

RRLandH

Reaction score
Thank you, I will try that. Not sure how to take them apart though. Any diagrams to reference?

KEIRON

Reaction score
I own a 2006 RR sprt Hse, for the second time my drivers seat does not move out of memory 3, and the rear view mirrors arn;'t working. we checked the fuses under the dash, are there memory relays for the drivers side seating? and rear view mirros on both sides.. the passenger seat moves great.
Keiron

Fanfuel

Reaction score
Glad to be aboard

My 96 Land Rover rear windows and rear sun roof don't work...any ideas?:confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM