Powerchip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
For those that are curious or may just want to know... I just sent my ECU off to be upgraded by PowerChip in California. Cost $390 plus shipping. I will let you know within the next month (currently it is sitting at my Dad's house waiting for the ECU to come back, and I am 3 hours away using his car (I don't think he was happy to learn it may be 2 weeks before I get home again).

I will let everyone know how it goes as soon as I get it installed and check it for fuel economy and power.

DiscoveryLover

Reaction score
What kind of upgrade are you having done to your ECU? Their 'regular' upgrade for what Octane gas you run, or more specific to how you have your rover setup?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I had them tune the ECU chip to my Rover with the Headers, and cold air intake... I also had them turn off the 113 mph speed limiter (so the VSS issue will go away, at least until the speed 'o' dies). I also had them turn off the rear O2 sensors.

I am hoping for better fuel economy (more of a wish) and better performance out of my existing mods.

DiscoveryLover

Reaction score
I didn't know they could do that much different programming to the ECU. Hopefully it proves beneficial.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Install Update.

First let me say that this has only been installed since Saturday Morning and I have driven it around about 25 to 30 miles around Cambridge OH, then today I made a 163 miles interstate trip in Ohio from Cambridge to Cincinnati OH.

First impressions was it has a lot smoother idle, I also notice smoother mid-range response. I didn't really notice any major power increases (local driving).

Then for the interstate driving, I notice that it maintained cruise speeds much better up and down hill (remember Ohio is more rolling hills then the mountains I was used to in WV). I also noticed when I did have to accelerate to speed or pass the kick down was there much faster as well as speed to pass was there, vice not really there prior to. I set the cruise on 65 MPH (remember OH is 65 Speed limit), I also wanted a base line for this test. My last trip from Cincinnati to Cambridge yielded a whopping 13MPG at 65 MPH. Keep in mind that I am currently running 245/75/16 tires I have a 300+ lb front bumper and RTE Running boards w/ Nerf bars, i.e. 100+ lbs per side.

Now for the really exiting news.... I filled up in Cambridge just before getting on the interstate and topped it off till it started to run out of the fuel fill. 163 Miles later I got off the interstate at exit 12 in Cincinnati on I-71, I stopped and filled it back up and it took a total of 8.492 gallons. Unless I did some bad math I came up with 19.20 MPG. Not bad for the first run.

You must also keep in mind that I have a very free flowing exhaust and cold air intake. I will update this later this week with town/highway numbers.

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... I filled up in Cambridge just before getting on the interstate and topped it off till it started to run out of the fuel fill. 163 Miles later I got off the interstate at exit 12 in Cincinnati on I-71, I stopped and filled it back up and it took a total of 8.492 gallons. Unless I did some bad math I came up with 19.20 MPG. Not bad for the first run.

Wow! 19 MPG would make that $400 price tag easier to swallow for me. Looking forward to hear about your average city MPG too.
I've got a CAI, Magnaflow muffler w/o resonator and stock cats. Do you think this is free flowing enough to reap the benefits of an ECU upgrade?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure if you don't drive it like you stole it.... or stop light to stop light racing I would say that should work very well....

I will be doing a lot of in town/highway driving this week here in the Cincinnati OH/Covington KY area, so I will let you know how well the MPG update goes.

I know I was happy to see the 19+ MPG on the drive down.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Got an in town update.

Driving around the Cincinnati Ohio/Covington KY area the last couple days I have put on 151 miles on this tank, then filled back up. Of this driving I would say it was 60% hard Highway mile (i.e. hard acceleration and passing) and 40% in town stop and go traffic.

So here goes and I am calculating this as I type. 151 miles at 11.48 Gallons = 13.15 MPG... doesn't sound the best, but remember I have been driving it real hard for a couple of days. I don't think this is too bad considering.

DiscoveryLover

Reaction score
Looks like you've benefited from it so far. I'm sure if you were hot rodding it with the original ECU, you'll MPG would have been less.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure of it... when I used to drive it this hard I would be lucky to get 10 MPG... if that means anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72