Prep for Timing Chain Guides Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard how difficult this job truly is? I don't have CPO on MY2011 with 75k everything seems fine now but eventually I'd like to swap out the chain/tensioner/guides. Tool/ Kits are out there for about $150. I've done other vehicles in the past. I'm aware the consequences of done incorrectly. I guess I have trust issues giving my car to mechanics and the expense.

Wondering the same if I ever have to do it. I am mechanically inclined and have decent tools. I suspect that for a DIYer, never having done it before, you'd be looking at a LOT of hours. My understanding is that there is a pretty thorough dismantling of the front end just to get to the engine. That alone (disassembly/reassembly) is probably many hours. Then there's the engine bits.

I'd earmark 15+ hours to be safe and assume that car is our of commission for a couple of weeks. But it's just a guess.

I'm assuming of course, detailed instructions and necessary tools.

spawnywhippet

Reaction score
Has anyone heard how difficult this job truly is? I don't have CPO on MY2011 with 75k everything seems fine now but eventually I'd like to swap out the chain/tensioner/guides. Tool/ Kits are out there for about $150. I've done other vehicles in the past. I'm aware the consequences of done incorrectly. I guess I have trust issues giving my car to mechanics and the expense.
Me too, I am a fairly advanced DIY-er and would like to do this myself if there is a $4k saving for a couple of days work. If anyone has access to a DIY tutorial or workshop manual that would be great.

Edward2595

Reaction score
Any updates to this? I'm considering buying the tools and doing it myself on my 2011 Range Rover SC. No symptoms yet but I'd like to do it before my chain stretches and just replace my tensioners and guides. I'm at 23k miles.

aakempvt

Reaction score
I just had the timing job done under warranty. 2012 with 52k miles. I had a few seconds of chatter at startup. Runs probably a little better than before. Dealer had it for three days.

I was looking at what was involved doing it myself and it’s a through dismantling of the front of the truck. I’ve done timing belt jobs, this is more involved. I wouldn’t attempt it without a good guide.

jwise87

Reaction score
Also said:
upload_2017-12-7_8-8-32.png

Edward2595

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that has actually done this job? I'd like to know any specific tools required or tips/tricks. I'm specifically looking at ONLY changing the tensioners and guides in my vehicle (2011 RR Supercharged), as it only has 24k miles on it. Does the radiator, lights and bumper cover have to come out to access the front of the vehicle? I'm trying to gather up as much knowledge and any special tools before starting the job.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72