Prep for Timing Chain Guides Work

Discussion in 'LR4' started by shanerrs, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

Wondering the same if I ever have to do it. I am mechanically inclined and have decent tools. I suspect that for a DIYer, never having done it before, you'd be looking at a LOT of hours. My understanding is that there is a pretty thorough dismantling of the front end just to get to the engine. That alone (disassembly/reassembly) is probably many hours. Then there's the engine bits.

I'd earmark 15+ hours to be safe and assume that car is our of commission for a couple of weeks. But it's just a guess.

I'm assuming of course, detailed instructions and necessary tools.

2. spawnywhippet

spawnywhippet Active Member

Me too, I am a fairly advanced DIY-er and would like to do this myself if there is a $4k saving for a couple of days work. If anyone has access to a DIY tutorial or workshop manual that would be great.

3. Edward2595

Edward2595 New Member

Any updates to this? I'm considering buying the tools and doing it myself on my 2011 Range Rover SC. No symptoms yet but I'd like to do it before my chain stretches and just replace my tensioners and guides. I'm at 23k miles.

4. aakempvt

aakempvt Active Member

I just had the timing job done under warranty. 2012 with 52k miles. I had a few seconds of chatter at startup. Runs probably a little better than before. Dealer had it for three days.

I was looking at what was involved doing it myself and it’s a through dismantling of the front of the truck. I’ve done timing belt jobs, this is more involved. I wouldn’t attempt it without a good guide.

5. jwise87

jwise87 Member