Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LR3_WA

roverdawg said:
The 'sluggishness', that I experienced occured often. Basically, when I pressed down on the accelerator, nothing happened. The engine would roar but the car wouldn't move (from a stop). After a couple of seconds the power would gradually come back, often with some little lurches. Diagnosed as being related to the fuel tank, which was replaced thru the recall. After about 2000 miles on the new tank, the acceleration problems returned. Told it's a fuel injector problem that's been documented in many makes of cars (supplier problem). Current solution is to flush the injectors. Haven't seen a tech bulletin on it, however. When the acceleration IS working, it's been FAST off the line, as I like to dust other cars and suvs who see this big old, lumbering Land Rover and try to go around me at a stoplight (safely, of course). So, due to get the Lr3 back today. Also supposed to fix the suspension faults, inoperable hood release, rattling speaker, low coolant sensor, etc.

As for loaner, they stuck me in a Nissan Sentra this time. NOT pleased with that. They once put me in a Mercedes coupe but apparently that's a rarity. Bellevue doesn't have their own loaners, they instead use Enterprise Car Rentals.

I have my appt scheduled for all my fuel tank replace which is estimated as a two day job so I'm getting a loaner too. I can't believe that Land Rover is so cheap that they have us get an Enterprise Car. I had a VW and always got a VW as my loaner. I would think Land Rover would like to advertise Land Rover rather than Enterprise !

R

roverdawg

LR3_WA said:
I have my appt scheduled for all my fuel tank replace which is estimated as a two day job so I'm getting a loaner too. I can't believe that Land Rover is so cheap that they have us get an Enterprise Car. I had a VW and always got a VW as my loaner. I would think Land Rover would like to advertise Land Rover rather than Enterprise !

A bit surprising,no? Especially since this is a high-end dealer with Land Rover, Jaguar, Bentley & Aston Martin. Other dealers turn to rental agencies once they RUN OUT of loaners, this dealer has NO loaners period, just the Enterprise vehicles. I'd probably be a little more flexible if these particular rentals were CLEAN. Unfortunately, they just wash the outside and neglect to vacuum the inside which has led to some NASTY discoveries. On a side note, the injector story appears to be fluff as when I came to pick it up they said they decided not to address the problem as no faults were recorded. Great. Well, it's going back in for suspension faults, so we'll try again. I did shoot off a certified letter to LRNA regarding my LR3's issues and lemon eligibility......

H

Houm_WA

Dawg,

Have they tried changing the suspension control module?

Here is my account of my latest visit:

I just had my '05 in for a suspension fault and I think this time they actually fixed it. They wound up changing the suspension control module. They'd found some moisture in there that may've shorted it out, so they sealed that baby up and buttoned it up nice 'n tight and sent me on my way. The reason I think it's fixed is because my synoptic display (the 4x4 info screen) is showing me different things (suspension related) than it was before, indicating that the cross-link valves are now working. It would take a while to explain the details, but I will if it interests you...

On another note, LR Seattle indeed uses Enterprise, but this last time I got an LR3 for a loaner...through Enterprise. So, I really don't care if they want to contract it out, but as I told 'em before, either give me a Rover or give me an econobox. They seemed to respond as I was offered an LR3 or a Disco.

On one last note...the Beavs gave UW quite a fight on Thursday night, but there are no moral victories, I hope OSU wins when the Dawgs head South to Corvallis.

Peace

R

roverdawg

Houm_WA said:
I just had my '05 in for a suspension fault and I think this time they actually fixed it. They wound up changing the suspension control module. They'd found some moisture in there that may've shorted it out, so they sealed that baby up and buttoned it up nice 'n tight and sent me on my way. The reason I think it's fixed is because my synoptic display (the 4x4 info screen) is showing me different things (suspension related) than it was before, indicating that the cross-link valves are now working. It would take a while to explain the details, but I will if it interests you...

Houm,

Hope they fixed it for ya! They changed my module once already but still I wonder. It may be my imagination but it seems that my suspension fault frequency decreases a tiny bit when it stops raining. Hmmm. So, the moisture that you reported intrigues me. I know that water ingress into that area has been the cause for other LR3s as well.

Definitely, pls. describe the difference you're noting on the 4x4 screen.

Good show by OSU the other night, as much as it pains me to admit that. I think we can both agree on rooting for the Hawks come Sunday. I'll be there yelling my lungs out!

H

Houm_WA

Finally !! Some common ground with respect to sports ! Go Hawks indeed !!

Anyhow, check out my other post to one of yours indicating that it may be beneficial for you to generate the fault, THEN go into LR with the amber light still showing...don't turn off the car, either ! Two independent LR service shops have said that this makes troubleshooting more easy.

As for what my 4x4 screen showed....there are little "tick marks" above and below the wheels on the graphic on the right side of the display...the view facing forward. Those tick marks are supposed to show limits of wheel travel and when a wheel gets to the end of its range, the appropriate tick mark will flash red (the manual says amber, but it's red). When I drive into my parking garage, I MUST put the vehicle in access mode (or else scrape up my x-bars!) so the wheels are already near the top of their travel...and as I go over the rail that the garage gate rides on, it pushes those tires up further, and causes the tick marks to flash. Similarly, if I turn one wheel or the other, the tires get nearer to the sensors and the tick marks illuminate.

All that said, right now it looks as one would expect...if I turn one way or the other, one tick mark (for each of the front wheels) flashes or the other flashes. Before the module was replaced, ONLY ONE of the tick marks, that for the driver side front wheel, would flash.

Now, this of course is not concrete evidence that the problem is fixed, but the fault code indicated a problem in a "valve"...i.e., a valve from the cross-link in the suspension....a broken cross-link valve could have an effect like this....all I know is that its behavior is different, and now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

The other noteworthy thing is that I only got faults when my wheels were NOT all on the same normal (think "perpendicular", not "regular") plane (uneven ground, curbs, etc)

I hope this description paints the picture well enough for ya.

Best of luck.

R

roverdawg

Houm,

Thx for the description. I have noticed faults occuring when traveling over uneven surfaces albeit on city streets. I'll mention the cross-link possibility to them and see what happens....

R

roverdawg

FYI, This is what I've had done on my LR3 in less than a year of ownership:

1. Fuel tank recalled/replaced
2. Air suspension compressor replaced (still not working)
3. Air suspension connector hose repaired (still not working)
4. Stereo speakers replaced
5. Faulty hood release cable replaced
6. Coolant level sensor/tank replaced
7. Park distance control module replaced
8. Navigation screen replaced

LOVE this vehicle when it's working, but come on Land Rover, get your act together.

L

LR3_WA

roverdawg said:
A bit surprising,no? Especially since this is a high-end dealer with Land Rover, Jaguar, Bentley & Aston Martin. Other dealers turn to rental agencies once they RUN OUT of loaners, this dealer has NO loaners period, just the Enterprise vehicles. I'd probably be a little more flexible if these particular rentals were CLEAN. Unfortunately, they just wash the outside and neglect to vacuum the inside which has led to some NASTY discoveries. On a side note, the injector story appears to be fluff as when I came to pick it up they said they decided not to address the problem as no faults were recorded. Great. Well, it's going back in for suspension faults, so we'll try again. I did shoot off a certified letter to LRNA regarding my LR3's issues and lemon eligibility......

I made the assumption that Bellevue LR loaner from Enterprise would be a Ford Focus (or something of that nature), though they gave me a Jag !

In talking with the Enterprise rep it appears they actually try to match you up with your brand. They ran out of Discovery & LR3s.

R

roverdawg

LR3_WA said:
I made the assumption that Bellevue LR loaner from Enterprise would be a Ford Focus (or something of that nature), though they gave me a Jag !

In talking with the Enterprise rep it appears they actually try to match you up with your brand. They ran out of Discovery & LR3s.

I wonder how many they have in their fleet. I've been there by 8am and still gotten a dirty Sentra. That being said, they did bring a Mercedes one time which was nice, but everything else has been small, econoboxes. Who knows, maybe they're reading this forum and you benefitted! ;) What I don't like is the fact that they give you a Loaner for 2 days, but if it's in for more than that it's on your dime.

How 'bout them Hawks!

C

chicagoLR3HSE

Well the dealer has come to the conclusion that it is the steering assembly that was loose from the factory and could have lost control of the truck, they say that explains why the truck was eating tires,,,, any thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM