Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that one other owner had this problem, and I wanted to see if anyone else has had it as well. When I brake or when I accelerate from a stop, my driver's seat rocks like it is loose. It is extremely annoying! I just purchased my '05 SE used with 17k miles on it, and I love it (except the MPG)! However, I am nervous about the number of problems this vehicle might have in the future.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean the seat base is loose? Mine needed to be tightened down post delivery. Easy fix. Anyway, why ask here?... Get it fixed under your warranty! :)

M

memahler

Power Steering failure.

The power steering pump failed at the halfway point of my first (short) roadtrip. LR was great in helping us out. That was after one month and 800 miles on the 2006 LR3. Roof mounted antenna at rear of car has come completely loose of the roof. Five months and 4000 miles later, everything else is OK.

L

LR3_Magic

Just had my upper and lower steering column shaft replaced after complaining several times to the dealership that I felt a looseness/knocking in the steering at low speeds going over small bumps/cobbles. The steering wheel also had play in it before it would engage or turn the wheels. Everything feels like it should now with the fix.

R

rbutler

cbboard said:
I saw that one other owner had this problem, and I wanted to see if anyone else has had it as well. When I brake or when I accelerate from a stop, my driver's seat rocks like it is loose. It is extremely annoying! I just purchased my '05 SE used with 17k miles on it, and I love it (except the MPG)! However, I am nervous about the number of problems this vehicle might have in the future.

cbboard, dealer is replacing our driver seat frame on monday (in for 15k service). they tightened it as much as they can and it's still loose hence the new frame.

also have had the air susp pump replace (at 3000 miles). no problems since.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rbutler said:
cbboard, dealer is replacing our driver seat frame on monday (in for 15k service). they tightened it as much as they can and it's still loose hence the new frame.

also have had the air susp pump replace (at 3000 miles). no problems since.

I took my LR3 in about the loose seat. After checking it out, they told me that all LR3's are like that, and that it is "normal play in the seat." I didn't expect any play in the seat of a $50k vehicle, but maybe my expectations are too high.

Also, my steering column has started making all kinds of noise when turning. It sounds like metal on metal grinding. I got an appointment to bring it in next week. We'll see how this goes.

S

stanstheman

Purchased my 05 LR3 SE V8 (Dealer demo) 6 weeks ago. The car has so many bells and whistles that I expect some problems. Having said that, I extended the warranty out to 6 years 65K miles from date of purchase. Why 65K (because it had 5K on it when I bought it). I'm retired so it will take 6 yrs. to put another 60K on this black beauty. After reading the forum postings, I inquired with the dealer (Jag/Land Rover of Annapolis, MD) as to what had been done to the car while it was in Demo Service. Believe it or not, their records show only three issues in the first 5K miles. Gas tank replaced (at the port of entry in Jan of 05), blown stereo speaker on drivers side (replaced) and sun roof drainage tubes unclogged! Since the LR3 was last serviced, 2 more recalls were posted which I will find out about on Monday when I bring it in to have to have the "Vegamatic" shifter fixed. Found out Saturday when I attended LR's off-road driving course in Lanham, MD. that I couldn't go thru the gears in "manual mode". Auto works fine. By the way, their off road teaching and spotting was great and our local dealer bought lunch afterward. I enjoyed the course so much that I drove it 4 times. Only other issue was that the coolant accumulator tank was changed out when I bought the car. So far, I love this thing.....and yes, I do get the shift lag when doing a "rolling start". Mileage is now 15.3 city and 19.9 Hwy on my last trip of 300 miles (all most on I-95) with cruise control on all the way. Do I have a couple of things that I would like to see improved....sure! But with this amount of electro/mechanicals in a vehicle, I'm surprised that most of it works as well as it does. The auto-terrian selection and hill descent auto-braking with the air-ride is hard to beat. Count me in the impressed customer category so far (I hope it stays that way). A lot better than the $72,500 Audi A8L that I finally sold because it was nickle and diming me to death. A British car - YES (now that Lucas is out of the picture) - a German car - "Never Again".

J

jayt

Not sure how you got "nickle and dimed" by Audi - they cover everything except tires for 4/50k. As for LR wait until you have a problem - you will suffer. Maybe you were sa=mart to by a demo - the dealer had to fix all the poor build quality before you got it. Good luck with yours - mine is history

combee1

Reaction score
Similar Problems

I bought my fully loaded, 2005 V-8 SE in early Jan. '05 (dealer couldn't get an HSE in a timely manner). I was impressed by the onroad driveablitly combined with offroad capability, and I liked the styling to boot. I truly have wanted to love this car. I've tried being patient and understanding realizing that it is a first year model. However, I am now at 40K miles and with all the problems and trips to the service department the LR3 has worn me down. My wife and I are expecting twins in a couple weeks, and I just feel that I'm not going to have the time or energy to continue to deal with this vehicle. It's time to scrap the LR3 and move to something at least a little more reliable. To summarize, here is a list of the issues:

1. Engine light at 280 miles - 1.5 months in and out of service departments. Apparent fix, was cracked seal in exhaust system?
2. Special off-road systms fault at about 12K miles - 1 month in and out of service. Apparent fix was a new cpu chip of some sort.
3. Abnormal tread wear on Goodyear HP's at 15000 miles - I have since learned this is probably a combination of cheap GY's (although not all GY's are cheap), an alignment fault from the factory (although LR will never admit to it), and a problem with the air suspension compressor/system. - Problem was never resolved. LR refused to take responsiblity and blamed it on abnormal tire pressures. (By the way, we check our tire pressures regularly).
4. Water leak from clogged sunroof drains at about 18K miles. Easy fix, but took LR two visits to figure it out.
5. Gas tank recall at around 20K miles. Took 2 months to get part and have it replaced.
6. Have had numerous items inside the vehicle break or malfunction along the way, including - two seat latches, driver side speaker, DVD/Nav locked up, poor sound from Aux input, glove compartment latch broken. Yes, I too have the same transmission **** problem, but compared to everything else, I haven't even mentioned it to the dealer as a "problem". I consider myself lucky that I have not had the steering and seat issues... yet.
7. Now I have a suspension fault, that apparently is going to require a new air compressor, but our service department is so busy the earliest Mel (yes, I am on a first name basis with service managers all over the east coast including Louisville, West Palm Beach, Orlando, Jacksonville, FL) could get me in is in a week and a half. Hmmm...I can't imagine why they are so busy... could it be that Land Rover is making money hand over fist by selling $50K big rolling boxes of S**T (sorry, for that, just frustrated).

Yes, I agree that all makes of cars and trucks have problems. But when you spend $50K you should expect better. And now I see it's not just my truck. LR needs to own up to these problems and fix most of them in short order. However, from my experience, none of these dealers' service departments are on the same page. The trend is to try to shift the blame for problems to the customer. Service takes forever, and often times the fix is always 2-3 visits to the dealer away. Not to mention that getting a loaner, errrr... rental car is always a big hassle even at our home dealership. Anyone who doesn't see a problem with this scenario, and chalks all of this up to "well, it is a first year model with lots of electronic gadges" is only contributing to the overall affliction that our entire American society suffers from - chronic low expectations/standards related to being disappointed time and time again.

No, I am not the type to usually complain about things. I am always willing to divy out praise when it is deserved. I have owned Honda, Mazda, Toyota, BMW, and Audi and have nothing but good things to say. I still have a '94 Miata with 127K, that is in cherry condition (I take care of my vehicles). I drove my Honda Civic to near 200K. I was especially impressed with the Audi A4 3.0 quattro I leased. Audi knows a lot about paying attention to details. Something, LR could stand to learn.

Last edited:
M

migz

This is the first time I found this forum, and I can relate to many of the responses on this thread.

I have an '05 LR3 I bought in the March of '05, and we just have over 20k miles on it now.

Since I have owned it, the car has been to the shop 3 times for various warranty issues, safety recall and service as well.

I had the Guel Tank replacement done when I noticed the very strong smell of gas in our garage - this was before we had received the notice of the recall.

This is my second Land Rover, having owned a Discovery 2 previously, and had it for 70k problem free miles, except for just 3 minor issues.

I have owned all kinds of vehicles before: Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Lexus, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover. They have all had their share of little quirks. But the LR3, with one year of ownership, is beginning to concern me, as there are many problems.

Here is the list of the problems I have had so far:

1) Frequent Suspension Faults: air compressor replaced twice, now scheduled for the third replacement next week

2) Rear passenger door lock does not lock -- scheduled for the 3rd attempt to repair now

3) Water leak on right rear passenger side - I believe this was an A/C leak --- repaired now

4) Glove compartment lock does not engage, so glove box remains open -- scheduled for repair next week

5) Right rear passenger seat does not stay down when folded --- scheduled for repair next week

6) Fuel Tank & line leak ---- repaired and replaced

7) "AUTO" on and off headlights do not work -- repaired

8) Left rear brake light out --- scheduled

9) Low Coolant reading, when there is plenty of coolant --- scheduled

10) Cigarette lighter cover does not close --- repaired

11) Transmission Lag -- car surges forward when moving off stop or rolling stop position (also happens in reverse!) -- scheduled

The list is quite long, and I'm concerned about this car when it comes off of warranty - will have to spend all the money to make constant repairs? And these are mostly non-engine related already. What if my car is old already?

I have owned many vehicles in my lifetime... with the exception of the BMW 740iL, the LR3 is the best vehicle I have ever owned - the only problem is these "problems."

I am hoping that my next visit to the service department will fix most of these issues, so I can really enjoy the ownership of this car. I will update.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635